Valve cover for a kz650 with smog valves

More
11 Jul 2007 14:04 #156207 by Z650Cruiser
Valve cover for a kz650 with smog valves was created by Z650Cruiser
Has Anybody thought to place a standard Valve cover on, in place of the one fitted with these Smog valves, that don't appear to do a darn thing. I have had the valves looped across and the Carb tubes blocked off for some time, and now thinking would another valve cover fit, the Bolt formation appears to be the same, Two of the Smog valve bolts don't drop to the head, any thoughts?;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2007 14:38 #156213 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Valve cover for a kz650 with smog valves
block the holes first

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
11 Jul 2007 16:20 #156234 by Z650Cruiser
Replied by Z650Cruiser on topic Valve cover for a kz650 with smog valves
Thanks for the reply, are you talking about the Two bolt holes that are the extra to hold the Smog valves themselves? they don't appear to go down to the head, they are much shorter than all the others?;)

More
11 Jul 2007 19:07 #156264 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Valve cover for a kz650 with smog valves
On my 550 I made some new covers out of aluminum. Unless you are a machinist or no someone who is this would be kind of hard to do but i thought i would throw it out there. This pic isn't very good one to show you them but its the best i have.

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]
Attachments:

More
11 Jul 2007 20:13 #156275 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Valve cover for a kz650 with smog valves
I forget how the ports are but as mentioned you would need to block all of them in the head. There are either two of them or four, it's been quite a while since I had a valve cover off a 1979. You could clean them good then fill with epoxy would be one way to do it, or do a better repair by either having the holes welded shut or putting some kind of plug in each one. If they are not plugged you will have an exhaust leak. After plugging them all you can simply bolt on the 1978 cover. You will of course need a few of the standard length 6mm bolts to replace the long ones used on the 1979 cover where the reed valve setups were.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.