Question for Wiredgeorge

More
05 Jul 2007 16:53 #154937 by 78KZ1KLTD
Question for Wiredgeorge was created by 78KZ1KLTD
I have a set of VM29 carbs that I picked up years ago. On the flange are markings: L9 00. How should these be jetted? Are these the good 29s or the bad ones? Bike is a 78 KZ1000LTD. Motor is stock, stock airbox, and V&H 4/1 pipe. Currently there are #20 pilots and 120 mains. Also have the stock 26mm carbs if they are better for this application. The 26 carbs would have to be sent to you for rebuilding. Not looking for all out performance. Would rather have a well running engine with good useful torque. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2007 04:33 #155016 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Question for Wiredgeorge
The ID mark you see on the flange doesn't sound right for a VM29. Look on the choke side to see if the ID mark is the same. The ID mark on the VM29 has a 29 in it for sure as I recall.

If you do have 29s, the pilot jet size is by large part, a function of the slide cut out size. The slide cut out on most Kaw applications is 1.5 and on Suz applications, 2.5. The Kaw application can use a #17.5 pilot jet with the mixture screw at between 1/4 to 1/2 turn out. If you have the Suz variety of VM29, you will need to start with a much larger pilot; perhaps a #27.5.

The jet needle is going to be a 5DL31 and should likely be clipped to 3rd slot. Main jet should likely be a tad smaller since you are using the stock airbox... can you pull redline cleanly with the 29s installed?

As to whether a set of 29s or 26s make more sense for a stock 78 LTD, that is really a hard call and depends on your riding style and riding goals. If you were more interested in top end horsepower, that is where the 29s will win but most folks who ride a stock LTD are not looking for performance, I guess. I personally use VM26s on my personal rider 79 KZ1000E1 as the 26s make better low end and mid-range which is where my old shafty spends the majority of its time. I may eventually switch to some constant velocity carbs eventually when I get the ambition to work up some intake runners to connect the stock airbox to some 34s. The stock airbox on a shafty is two parts and I will likely only use the top part as the bottom part requires the bike be disassembled to install below the battery box.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
06 Jul 2007 05:14 #155029 by 78KZ1KLTD
Replied by 78KZ1KLTD on topic Question for Wiredgeorge
I looked closer with a flashlight. I was reading the marking upside down. The marking is Q0 51. They have the removable plugs in the bowls to access the main jets. The pilot jets are different style from the 26s. I assume they are 29s. It does pull cleanly to redline with the 29s installed. The air screws are out 1 1/2 turns. It runs fairly well. The plugs are a little dark but not pitch black. Since it is stock I would rather have better low end and midrange so I may look into sending you the original 26s for rebuilding. One of the pickup tubes for the fuel enrichment is badly bent and cracked near where meets the carb body. Can this be repaired?

More
06 Jul 2007 11:14 #155128 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Question for Wiredgeorge
The fuel pickup tube can't be fixed but I have a parts drawer full of replacements. The reason it can't be fixed is that it is thin brass and any attempt to bend will just cause it to crack. It does sound like the carbs on hand are VM29s based on your description. www.z1enterprises.com has some good pics of 29s on their site and I have a pic of a VM29 assembly under the SALES link on our website.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!