Found out why my carbs wouldn't stay synchronized

More
05 Jul 2007 03:47 #154820 by old650
I would synch my carbs then they would go out immediately. One carb in particular would go out badly and when idling that cylinder would almost sound like it was diseling, a kind of semi rattle. I knew that the carbs were badly out also by the handlebar vibration. Anyway..... I yanked the rack out for inspection and cleaning. What I found was that all of my slide bell crank arm bolts were loose and one was really loose, tossing the synch to hell as soon as I turned the throttle. I have a habit of putting anti seize on most threads and I did that to these bolts, the last time that I took the carbs apart, which seems to have bitten me. Anyway, I took it all apart again, cleaned everything up then put a dab of ThreeBond medium threadlock on the (replacement Allan) bolt threads. Now all is well again in carb synch land....Just passed this on as something to check if your carbs won't synch, or go out immediately. The bolts that I'm talking about are the ones that lock the slides onto the long steel rod running through the top of all the carbs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
05 Jul 2007 04:54 #154823 by Mcdroid
Yeah, it is usually something simple that causes problems...congratulations.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
06 Jul 2007 09:16 #155097 by old650
Mcdroid wrote:

Yeah, it is usually something simple that causes problems...congratulations.

Thanks. I have also learned that the best time for me to do bike repairs/maintenance is when I'm well rested and not under time pressure. I miss/forget steps/parts when under a time pressure rush. As an update, I took both throttle cables off when cleaning/resynching the carbs and lubed them thoroughly. All is smooth as butter and the tach. comes back to it's 1,050 every time and sits there at a light. I'm no mechanic and I've made some mistakes along the way. However, with good tools, a Factory Service Manual, help from KZR, I have kept my bike running well by myself for years now.:)

Post edited by: old650, at: 2007/07/06 12:18