Any good carburettor building/tuning books?

• markmeinteil
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jul 2007 01:51 #154814 by markmeinteil
Any good carburettor building/tuning books? was created by markmeinteil
I did some checking on amazon for carburettor tuning and/or rebuilding books, but didn't really see much anything at all. I would love to get my hands on a good book for doing carb work. So, do any of you guys know of a great book for this subject?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2007 07:08 #154843 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Any good carburettor building/tuning books?
The Mikuni Tuning manual is a good book to start with.
When I put a set of Weber 40 DCOE's on a Honda, I bought a book by J. Pasanni on Weber carbs. This book is probably the best book I have on carb theory and really explains carb functions to a tee.
Other carb books I have also highly suggest the J. Pasanni book. You can never have too many books on any subject.
Fish

Weber 40 DCOE's for Honda CB 750 SOHC

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/07/05 10:08
Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2007 07:58 #154847 by JR
Now that is a very neat looking setup !
How does it run and was it difficult to do ?:cheer:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
05 Jul 2007 08:30 #154852 by The Fish
These are the best carbs I have had on the bike. I can get it to idle at 500 RPM. It sound like crap at 500 rpm, but it will return to the 500 RPM idle after the throttle has been blipped and doesnt want to stall.
I bought them as a complete set up for the SOHC. They were on a R.C. Engineering King Cobra. Heres a link on the King Cobra.

www.hondahog.com/RCeng_01.htm

When I got the set up, someone had cut off the tangs for the dual cable arrangement so I had to make a common throttle shaft to accuate the carbs in unison. I actually used the inners of the sync links off the Z-1 carbs (1 side is adjustable for sync).
The carbs have whats called choke tubes in them. The tubes are 30mm in diameter making these carbs 30mm carbs. They also have fuel jets and air jets for all curcuits making them very adjustable.
Fish

Heres a pic of a set that still has the tangs for the dual cable set up.

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/07/05 11:31
Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2007 09:36 #154861 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Any good carburettor building/tuning books?
Thats a neat setup there
Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2007 09:37 #154862 by Snakebyte
How close did it come to the frame?

More
05 Jul 2007 19:04 #154959 by sheik*yerbouti
Replied by sheik*yerbouti on topic Any good carburettor building/tuning books?
that is awesome, now is that not a bike specific carb? i'm thinking it's not... is that two, 2-barrel carbs?

More
06 Jul 2007 04:12 #155011 by The Fish
The carbs are used on alot of sports cars (Alfa, Fiat, BMW, etc) and are often refered to as side drafts.They are 2 X 2 barrel carbs and have accelerator pumps.
The carbs come real close to the frame, but dont hit (Pic). I am using Uni Foam filter material around the Velocity stacks, I took 4 sock type filters and cut the ends off and they are placed over the stacks. The round aluminum jet cover (on the top) was originally a steel thing held on with a wing nut, but it was real close to the frame, so I made new ones for clearance.
This set up uses Mikuni VM 29 Smoothbore intake adaptors to fit them to the Honda. Thats right Kawi Guys, they have the Kawi carb spacing and would bolt to your 900 & 1000's.(this set would, not all sets do as some use different intake mounting flanges)

Fish

SORRY FOR HIJACKING THIS THREAD, BUT THE J. PASANNI BOOK IS WELL WORTH BUYING IT FOR THE INSIGHT IT GIVES TO CARB CIRCUITS AND ADJUSTING THEM.

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/07/06 07:20

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/07/08 20:38
Attachments:

More
06 Jul 2007 05:12 #155027 by Snakebyte
HMMMM! I wonder if this type of carb will fit the GPZ head I have for my build?:evil:
Attachments: