Running again!

More
03 Jul 2007 11:26 #154504 by billz
Running again! was created by billz
Well last summer my '76 900 basically quit running. it would run but crappily needing choke. At the time I was busy at work and with everything else I parked it in the garage and said I'll get to it later. Well a couple of weeks ago I took a few days off and thought I'd spend a day checking it out.

Step 1 - charged the battery.
Step 2 - put gas in the tank (could have sworn there was fuel there when I parked it, but the wife did complain about a "gassy smell" in the garage - I blamed the dog.) check oil levels
Step 3 - Oh Damn gas is leaking out from somewhere!! It's the t-fitting between #1 & 2 carbs.
Step 4 - pull the carbs and remove 1 & 2. Teflon tape the hardened rubber. (Make mental note to order new ones this winter) Put them back together.
Step 5 - while they're off, clean the jets & orifices, lube what needs to lubed.
Step 6 - Put them back on, start cranking. Hey it runs! Hmm crappy running and then only when revved up to 4K and with a choke.
Step 7 - Sit back & think. Run with choke means it's not getting fuel in the right places. We know the carbs are clear & unplugged so let's move up the chain.
Step 8 - Take the petcock off first to see if it's plugged. As I take it apart I notice one of the little tangs that turns the doohickie that directs fuel from the main or the reserve is broken off. The petcock isn't letting enough fuel through because the holes aren't fully aligned.
Step 9 - Order a new petcock from Z1 Ent.
Step 10 - It came in yesterday. Pull the plugs,clean them cause they were fouled too.
Step 11 - it fired right off, ride it up and down the road!!!

Now a quick question on the new petcock (Petcock - Custom Chrome - Single Outlet 22mm thread nut - Left Side Spigot). It came with a tall filter screen that wouldn't fit through the tank bung, so reluctantly I pulled it off (I am running fuel filters). Does anyone know if the screens can be taken off the stock petcock and put on the new one?

Thanks

Bill

1976 KZ900
Action Fours header, K&N Pods, Accel coils

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.