KISS

• KZQ
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
28 Jun 2007 21:18 #153556 by KZQ
KISS was created by KZQ
Hi Folks,

I've been struggling with tuning the carbs on my KZ1300 for months. At first I thought that I had blocked up idle circuits. Then I thought that I had the carbs out of sync. Last night I decided that I'd pull off the carbs one more time to be sure the emulsion tubes weren't clogged up.

Now, I knew that the fuel petcock was allowing a very small dribble. I thought that it was nothing that the float valves couldn't handle. But tonight when I pulled the carbs off I saw that Numbers 1,2,3 &4 had fuel sitting in the intake boots. I've known for some time that cylinders 5&6 have been running fine with the other four running rich to fouled. Didn't occur to me that the reason 5&6 didn't have the same problem is because while sitting on the side stand the fuel was dribbling into the lowest four cylinders. I took the carbs apart any way, just to be sure. At this point I could put these three duces back together in the dark.

I found nothing out of the ordinary in the carbs. I decided to clean the plugs and fit a temporary tank to the bike and go for a ride. Sure enough, once I got it up the temp every thing smoothed out. No more surging and no stumble off of idle. I made sure to run the carbs dry before putting it up for the evening. I'll be looking for a new petcock in the morning.

The simplest things.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2007 22:22 #153569 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KISS
i thought i was the only one who did that!:P

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
29 Jun 2007 07:20 #153597 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic KISS
I know a guy that recently bought a bike for his wife and cleaned the carbs because itwould die after running for a few seconds. When reassembled, it did the same thing. Who could have known a gallon of gas could be so helpful???