Float bowl gasket problems

More
28 Jun 2007 18:09 #153512 by road_rascal
Float bowl gasket problems was created by road_rascal
I bought 4 rebuild kits from K&L for my '82 KZ750H LTD. I took everything apart, cleaned every jet and air passage I could find, and put everything together. I'm still having problems with the #1 carb (another story). Now, it looks like the float bowl gasket has grown larger by 1/8" or so. WTF? Do I have to buy another gasket or is there some trick to shrink it? Thanks. I've been browsing the forums and there's a lot of great info here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2007 18:51 #153522 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Float bowl gasket problems
Been there and done that. Some of these gaskets which are more like large O rings and I'm assuming thats what you have, are pretty crappy. They swell up when in contact with gas

My trick was to put each one in a separate little ziplock bag and throw em in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes. They will shrink down. Get your bits ready, remove from freezer and put them in one at a time. Work fast on each one before they swell back up.

Good Luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
28 Jun 2007 19:16 #153530 by road_rascal
Replied by road_rascal on topic Float bowl gasket problems
Ya know, I tried that, but I didn't put them in ziplock bags and only set them in the freezer for about 10 minutes. I'll try it longer. These gaskets are shaped like the float bowl (I have seen the kits with just the large o-rings- what a pain that must be to install). Thanks for the tip.