#1 Air mixture screw not working

More
27 Jun 2007 17:45 #153245 by vach
#1 Air mixture screw not working was created by vach
Very strange... My bike is very hard to start when cold.. The carbs are synced, 11 inches of vacuum.. When the bike starts, it runs awsome.. It fires up and then dies and then the heavy kicking begins.. Have Dyna ignition and coils. At idle or all the way through the rpm's, it just runs great.. My #1 & #2 plugs were slightly sooted up, but other than that it runs great.. So I went to back out the air screws on #1 & #2 to lean them up slightly.. # 1 has no effect what so ever.. I can turn it in all the way and nothing happens.. All the other air mixture screws work fine.. I'm at 2 turns out on #3 & #4 and 2 1/4 on #1 & #2.. I did adjust the float level on #1 though, I leaned it up a bit.. Could that have made the air mixture screw not work? I idles fine though.. Still slightly rich on 1 & 2 though.. I have 20 pilots in there.. The bike won't run on 17.5's, it pops through the carbs if I use them.. What could cause this? They are VM 24's.. Any ideas? I did just notice my battery was weak though, could that be a cold start problem? Sorry for the 2 questions.. BTW... No vacumm leaks what so ever..

Post edited by: vach, at: 2007/06/27 20:47

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2007 19:01 #153272 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic #1 Air mixture screw not working

I did just notice my battery was weak though, could that be a cold start problem?

As Lou D would say...yes, a weak battery can severely affect ignition cold or hot because "Kawasaki ignition systems are extremely voltage sensitive"...

This is all I got right now, and it came from Lou. :(

I do know my GPz starts like a new and different animal with a new battery compared to a tired one. :)

More
28 Jun 2007 14:15 #153477 by vach
Replied by vach on topic #1 Air mixture screw not working
Cool, thanks Neilage.. The weak battery makes sense, but what could cause my #1 air mixture screw not to work? The bike runs great (other than the hard starting).. If I turn any of the other mixture screws in or out the bike will die.. That #1 screw does absolutly nothing.. I can take it all the way out or all the way in with no effect what so ever.. I sprayed carb cleaner in the mixture screw hole and it came out of the air filter.. I don't realy understand how it could do nothing at all.. Wired george.. Do you have any suggestions?

More
28 Jun 2007 14:32 #153481 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic #1 Air mixture screw not working
you forgot to pay the carb gods:P

sounds like something is still plugged up, but didnt you do a super clean on those carbs as I remember

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
28 Jun 2007 17:28 #153503 by vach
Replied by vach on topic #1 Air mixture screw not working
Yeah, I did a thorough cleaning on em'.. That carb was popping a bit when I had different pilot jets in there.. Might explain why that carb is running mildly rich.. back apart they come.. Stinks though the bike is running great..:(
May the Carb Gods be with you..:blink: