83 750LTD Carb Q's

More
26 Jun 2007 10:53 #152860 by Big_C
83 750LTD Carb Q's was created by Big_C
Got a couple of carb questions for you guys....

1. What are the baseline jet sizing for this bike (83 750LTD)?

2. How do you remove the carbs..do you have to take off motor mounts?

3. Gas is spitting hardcore out of the right side breather tube comning from the right bank of carbs but not the left. What is going on here?

4. What jets should be run at ~3500ft elevation? Should they be changed fom stock?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2007 13:19 #152897 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 83 750LTD Carb Q's
Got a couple of carb questions for you guys....

1. What are the baseline jet sizing for this bike (83 750LTD)?

I can't remember whether the carbs are the Mikuni BS34 or Keihin CV34. Jetting will be on kawasaki.com under parts diagrams -> carburetor parts

2. How do you remove the carbs..do you have to take off motor mounts?

Wow... I am pretty certain you will need to loosen the clamps on the airbox connectors and the clamps on the carb holders and pull them back some and then slide them out. At that point, you can undo the throttle cable. I am pretty certain you won't have to undo any motor mounts.

3. Gas is spitting hardcore out of the right side breather tube comning from the right bank of carbs but not the left. What is going on here?

You didn't mention whether the bike is running or not running when this occurs. That would be a useful bit of info. If the bike is running, combustion is not occuring in or two cylinders and the carbs are continuing to fill and are overflowing. If the bike is parked, there is a very good chance the petcock isn't operating as it should and the float valves are being overwhelmed. Gas has no other place to go once it rises in the bowl except out the vent.

4. What jets should be run at ~3500ft elevation? Should they be changed fom stock?

With the stock airbox, probably only a 5 percent decrease from stock jet size.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jun 2007 14:21 #152913 by Big_C
Replied by Big_C on topic 83 750LTD Carb Q's
ya, kinda jumped the gun on the removing question. Thank you for your helpful answers, hopfully this helps in the quest to get the bike running. i'm sure i'll be back with more. Thanks
Evan

More
27 Jun 2007 07:56 #153088 by Big_C
Replied by Big_C on topic 83 750LTD Carb Q's
so carbs have been disassembled and did not look overly dirty. I did have issues removing the small phillips that is on the TOP of the carb in a tiny hole inline with the barrel and in front of the slide hole...I managed to get 2 out but could not remove the other 2. what is this piece for??? it looks similar to a second needle...

As for the leaking gas, it leaks out when the bike is runing. I have a feeling it is more likely a stuck float bowl rather than a lack of combustion on one bank. Jets appear to be 22 and 100?? that sound like the right numbers?

More
27 Jun 2007 12:35 #153148 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 83 750LTD Carb Q's
"so carbs have been disassembled and did not look overly dirty. I did have issues removing the small phillips that is on the TOP of the carb in a tiny hole inline with the barrel and in front of the slide hole...I managed to get 2 out but could not remove the other 2. what is this piece for??? it looks similar to a second needle..."

I am not sure what you are talking about. Sorry. If you mean the flat headed screw on the top, that is the pilot mixture screw (since you said second needle). It doesn't have a "phillips" head.

"As for the leaking gas, it leaks out when the bike is runing. I have a feeling it is more likely a stuck float bowl rather than a lack of combustion on one bank. Jets appear to be 22 and 100?? that sound like the right numbers?"

Replace float needles and set service fuel level. The numbers you mentioned for jets don't make any sense. There are type types of CV34 I have come across... these are the specs I have for them:

CV34 and jetting

The CV34 comes in two varieties:

CV34 #1

Secondary main #125
Main #62
Jet needle N01A
Needle jet smaller opening (no badge)
Pilot #35 (pilot well plugged)

To rejet for pods/pipes #140 #70

CV34 #2
Secondary main #92
Main #68
Jet needle N100
Needle jet larger opening (no badge)
Pilot #35 (pilot well plugged)

To rejet for pods/pipes #130 - rest stock jets

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!