Running slightly rich on #1 & #2

More
25 Jun 2007 15:32 #152639 by vach
The bike is running great.. Have 20 pilots and 117.5 mains and am on the 4th clip on the jet needle.. Carbs are all in sync @ 11in of vacuum.. Should I back the air mixture screws out about 1/4 turn? Oh, the floats are synced up too.. #3 & #4 are tan and looking good.. Great throttle response all through the rpm range. 4-1 V&H exhaust w/ no insulation just the bare baffle and pods.. thanks guy's..

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
28 Jun 2007 21:21 #153557 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Running slightly rich on #1 & #2
Hi vach,
Is your petcock leaking?

Check out my post here:

The Petcock caused it!

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
30 Jun 2007 14:20 #153918 by vach
Replied by vach on topic Running slightly rich on #1 & #2
No man, I just bought a new one from Z1.. I think the carbs need to come apart again, something is not right. I just put another plug in #2.. I think the pilot circut is messed up some how.. the plgs on 3&4 look good, so I'm not sure.. If i run the 17.5 pilots, when i jump on it it hesitates and or pops through the carbs.. I ran the 15's and it would barely run.. Popping and when I would take off, it had bad hesitation.. I'm not sure what can get clogged in there but it has to be something..

More
30 Jun 2007 21:25 #153999 by oongow
Replied by oongow on topic Running slightly rich on #1 & #2
I would love to here what your solution is, as I have the same problem and am currently running 115 mains, clip on #2 and stock pilots. Crack throttle and hesitate, then running so so through the mid range. Am planning on buying pingle petcock as I do not trust the vacuum one.

More
01 Jul 2007 08:24 #154020 by vach
oongow, do you have headers or anything? I think your midrange is lean and should be on clip 3.. I believe that is stock.. You might try 17.5 pilots and see what happens.. Sounds like you have 2 different issues though.. My #2 is running pretty rich and I cant figure out why.. #3 & #4 plugs look real good so I'm on the right track. I need a compression tester to be sure.. I need to buy one from e-bay.. they are like $30.00 bucks, not too bad .. You might want todo the same.. I think others around here though will tell you you should be on the 3rd clip though.. I don't have the hesitation anymore going with 20's in the pilots.. You might try the 17.5's..

More
01 Jul 2007 08:41 #154025 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running slightly rich on #1 & #2
Too high fuel level in float bowl can result in over rich mixture, regardless of otherwise perfectly adjusted carbs.

If not already done, would check service fuel level using clear plastic tube method. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jul 2007 17:41 #154097 by oongow
Vach and Patton,
Thanks alot. Yes I have a new 4 into 1. I tried too many new things at once. Dyna, Pods, Exhaust. I was wondering about the pilots and the clip position. I am getting fuel into the intake boos which makes me think the fuel petcock might be bad and/or the floats might be off. How do you do the clear plastic tube method?

More
01 Jul 2007 19:28 #154127 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running slightly rich on #1 & #2
oongow wrote:

Vach and Patton,
Thanks alot. Yes I have a new 4 into 1. I tried too many new things at once. Dyna, Pods, Exhaust. I was wondering about the pilots and the clip position. I am getting fuel into the intake boos which makes me think the fuel petcock might be bad and/or the floats might be off. How do you do the clear plastic tube method?

FLOAT LEVEL --

Here's a link to one of several informative threads about this. Easy to find more help and pictures by doing a search for "float level" or "clear plastic tube."

float level

It's a quick easy check without removing anything from the bike. But the adjustment, if needed, is more involved.

FLOAT NEEDLE/SEAT INTERFACE --

Here's a link to some info regarding fuel in the boots.

fuel in boots

A search on float needle or other key words should produce several more helpful links.

Would keep a close check on oil for possible gasoline intrusion into crankcase. If getting to the intake boots, may also be getting into the combustion chamber and down around the pistons into the crankcase. If the float bowls have overflows, one or more may be obstructed allowing fuel to keep on rising upward in the carbs. With carbs equipped with overflows, excess fuel should escape from the float bowls through the overflow outlets (before rising high enough to reach the carb throat).

Good luck with the repairs. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/07/01 22:29

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Jul 2007 19:41 #154359 by vach
I have 4-1 and pods and dyna too. I'm runnung 117.5 mains and 20 pilots.. most run 17.5 pilots though.. Some might say the 117.5's are steep but a guy at Performance Cycle in Hammond indiana whp buils race bikes helped me with those. the bike isn't running rich on the top end, only on those 2 cylinders at idle..

oongow wrote:

Vach and Patton,

More
03 Jul 2007 18:04 #154560 by oongow
Well you were right. The clip position 3 helped alot. It has a ever so slight hesitation at throttle crack and still feels slightly weak as it reaches midrange then at 7k rpm starts to have trouble, but that may be a timing issue? as I have not dialed the dyna yet. I am pretty sure I have 17.5 in the pilots but forgot to document when I was cleaning them. They had a fair amount of crud. I have the non vacuum petcock coming (fuel in the plugs on the intake boots) and am going to check the float levels tomorrow. Again, thanks.