Homebrewed carb sync wrench

• IntroSpectre
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jun 2007 11:37 #152324 by IntroSpectre
Homebrewed carb sync wrench was created by IntroSpectre
Hey everyone,

I was just curious if any of you have advice for making a carb sync adjustment tool (socket wrench with a slotted screwdriver running down the middle of it). I haven't actually sync'd the carbs yet but I foresee it being difficult to make adjustments with a separate socket wrench and screwdriver. Suppose I could order one of those high falutin tools, but if I can get away with making one, I'll be stoked.

I tossed around the idea of welding a fixed extension handle onto a socket, so that a screwdriver could still be used through the center. You wouldn't get the benefit of a ratchet, but at least your adjustment to the screw wouldn't be thrown off by tightening down the locknut.

Does this make sense to everyone?

Motion Pro sells the tool pictured below, and they claim it will work with Keihin and Mikuni carbs. Unfortunately, I have the rarer TK's, so not sure if it's compatable. Also, like I mentioned above, I'd like to make one myself. ;)

Any ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2007 13:27 #152344 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Homebrewed carb sync wrench
I always used a screwdriver and end wrench with no problem. Did the same adjusting the valves on the old Chysler slant sixes, and others,,, and they were moving up and down,, :laugh: . Don't know why they even make that special wrench,,, :P :P :P
Other than to take your money that can be used on much more important things for these old bikes. :laugh: :laugh:

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/06/24 16:29

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
24 Jun 2007 14:13 #152357 by KZPens
Replied by KZPens on topic Homebrewed carb sync wrench
Piece of antenna, socket jb welded to it and hold in place with duck tape until dry, small enough screwdriver to fit through socket.

Post edited by: KZPens, at: 2007/06/24 17:15

• IntroSpectre
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jun 2007 10:23 #152572 by IntroSpectre
Replied by IntroSpectre on topic Homebrewed carb sync wrench
KZPens-

That's great! Ingenuity. I love it. Thanks for the pic.

More
25 Jun 2007 10:47 #152574 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Homebrewed carb sync wrench
I bought the tool, it's excellent and worth it IMNSHO

I'm a former mechanic, and it helps a lot if you sync many sets of carbs.

More
25 Jun 2007 13:05 #152605 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Homebrewed carb sync wrench
Milkman, This tool isn't intended for use on VM series carbs... it is essential on BS series carbs since you can NOT get a wrench into the area where the locknut must be tightened. That is why the long shaft is on the thing. Most of the Keihin carbs don't use locknut type adjusters so it is more useful on Mikuni which use them on the older constant velocity type. The adjusters on VM series are readily accessible with an an 8mm wrench and flat screwdriver so the tool isn't helpful. You can't use the tool at all on a Z1 (74/75) VM28 as there isn't clearance between nut and the rest of the adjuster mechanism next to it. I use a "modified" open end wrench where I ground a bunch of material off so it is almost like an 8mm ignition wrench so you can get it on the locknut.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Jun 2007 21:08 #152720 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Homebrewed carb sync wrench
Thanks for clearing that up for me WG. ;)
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.