tank cleaning

More
22 Jun 2007 17:32 #151877 by arobsum
tank cleaning was created by arobsum
why is phosphoric acid better than muriatic acid for cleaning tanks? i am getting ready to clean one and thought i would ask to get a better understanding. thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2007 17:52 #151881 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic tank cleaning
From a chemical standpoint, can't say. Muritic acid is used to etch concrete. Phosphoric acid is used to treat light rust. They use it on bridges and stuff and it causes surface rust to go dead or inert, as I understand it. Anyone that paints metal, like metal fences and such, uses phosphoric acid... not sure if the muritic acid deaden rust or not. I have never tried and have always used phosphoric acid on ALL vintage bike tanks I have owned that have had interior surface rust.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
22 Jun 2007 18:17 #151885 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic tank cleaning
I used muratic acid to clean my tank, only 5.00 for a gallon down at fred meyers, worked awsome tank was spottless and then so was my driveway, only problem was when it was drying it got a light coat of surface rust due to the fresh bare metal, I heard that phosporic acid leaves a coating behind that wont do that but that it does not work as well if your tank is really bad. I usede something coalled red kote for the coating, baught it at a local radiator shop, it worked awsome

More
22 Jun 2007 20:40 #151950 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic tank cleaning
My understanding is that the phosphoric acid leaves behind a layer of iron phosphate which is supposed to be a protector. Iron chloride, which is a product of muratic acid (HCl)is soluble and doesn't protect.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
22 Jun 2007 21:38 #151968 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic tank cleaning
Patton suggested WD-40 to stop the flash rust. In the past I've used muriatic acid to attack the rust and scale followed by phosphoric acid to leave a coat of iron phosphate. On the last tank I did I sprayed WD-40 into the tank as soon as I drained out the phosphoric acid. I then flushed well with water and then with more WD-40 to seal out the oxygen. I finished by forcing it dry with a hairdryer and it's totally rust free today.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
22 Jun 2007 22:02 #151979 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic tank cleaning
rust never sleeps.............

More
23 Jun 2007 07:52 #152048 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic tank cleaning
well, i got the red kote. looks like i'll be going to phosphoric. after using phosphotic acid, do i still need the red kote? or will the iron phosphate coating left behind be enough?

More
23 Jun 2007 12:21 #152098 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic tank cleaning
When I was with the militia, the Red Coats were the enemy... whatcha talking about? red kote? (btw: I was making a joke... I ain't quite that old hehe)

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Jun 2007 20:41 #152211 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic tank cleaning
The phosphate coating should be fine.

Post edited by: arai60, at: 2007/06/23 23:43

Post edited by: arai60, at: 2007/06/24 10:01

More
24 Jun 2007 07:33 #152289 by arobsum
wiredgeorge wrote:

When I was with the militia, the Red Coats were the enemy... whatcha talking about? red kote? (btw: I was making a joke... I ain't quite that old hehe)

its a tank liner i picked up from an auto parts store. called redkote. or something like that!

More
24 Jun 2007 09:31 #152300 by KZPens
Replied by KZPens on topic tank cleaning
I coated my tank with Red Kote, from what i was told it's a polymer almost like rubber and doesn't flake or crack like other sealer can. I put some of it on a piece of cardboard and was able to bend it without cracking after it was dry.

After I was done with my tank, bondo/primer, and cleaning with muriatic acid, phosphoric acid, flushing with acetone and treating with Red Kote I decided to go with a larger tank. :woohoo:

The tank I have now is from I believe a police KZ which was treated at some point with a sealer like Kreem and is now flaking off ( probably not done right ).

If you already have the Red Kote I would use it, there really isn't much to applying it once the tank is cleaned inside, just make sure the tank is dry, that all being said you should be fine with just the phosphate coating. :)

phospate

red kote

[img size=499]http://members.cox.net/bbruni/red kote.jpg[/img]

More
24 Jun 2007 10:03 #152305 by arobsum
cool. thanks for the pics. i would rather not line it if possible.