Adding Pods

More
20 Jun 2007 18:47 #151294 by skydailey
Adding Pods was created by skydailey
I am thinking of adding air filter pods on my 77 KZ 650b1. Do you guys have any suggestions on what brand/size ect.? Is their any benefit over using the airbox?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2007 19:13 #151308 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Adding Pods
This has been discussed extensively. My opinion is K&N are nice enough filters, but the benefits are minimal. More air flow and easy carb removal are the only benefits that I can think of. Bad points include more dirt into the engine, rapid intake manifold deterioration due to excess weight without the stock airbox for support, ride in rain? Forget it!, Ride on the highway in windy conditions? bad news. They work OK, I've put many a mile on with them, but the stock airbox setup is a lot better way to go if possible.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 Jun 2007 06:16 #151419 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Adding Pods
I personally use an OEM airbox on my bikes to provide still air to the carburetors... pods tend to cause slight surging from cross winds and passing vehicles. Most owners who use pods get used to this and don't notice the slight effect. With respect to the other negatives Ron brought up, I doubt that pods will allow in more dirt; in fact, I suspect that the K&N filters and possibly even the less expensive and disposable Emgo pod filters will filter better than a stock air filter element. I think either does a more than adequate job of filtering. As far as the issue Ron brought up about unsuspended weight possibly shortening the life of carb holders... this may be. I suspect anyone using pods would want to wire the carburetor assembly to the frame to keep them from bouncing excessively where the unsuspended weight might do harm. I use pod filters when testing carbs and haven't really observed this as a problem but is has been reported. I will also say that there is a good liklihood that SOME of those complaining about carb holder deterioration may have been using older and less pliant carb holders that just might have been prone to cracking anyway. The positive when using pods is that they flow more air than a stock airbox and when the carbs are rejetted properly, will make a bit more power and they do make carb removal easier. LOTS of folks use them and swear by them... I use a stock airbox on my KZ1000E1 ST that is my main rider bike.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 Jun 2007 06:53 #151434 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Adding Pods
IF you do decide to go "pods", do yourself a favor, spend the extra $ and buy REAL K&N filters. Ebay has thousands of sellers with "K&N style" filters. These are knock offs, not the real deal.
K&N's say K&N on them. I have K&N's on my Z1 and have no problems with them. They have been on the bike since 1978. With K&N's you MUST take them off and clean them and re-oil them !!! I do this at least twice a season.
It's about $15.00 for a cleaning/oil kit from K&N, available at cycle shops. I've had the same kit for maybe six to seven years.
I'm sure others will jump in on this one;)
Just my .02 cents...
And as George stated, there are some small ( to me ) side affects from "pods" that I don't even notice now.
Heck, I don't even hear my wife yelling anymore
:whistle:
Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/06/21 09:59

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
21 Jun 2007 07:47 #151453 by skydailey
Replied by skydailey on topic Adding Pods
Thanks guys. Im still not sure what I will do but I will take your advice! Thanks again.......Shaun

More
21 Jun 2007 11:34 #151502 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Adding Pods
For realiability go with the airbox. Yes the pods look cool but if the engine and exhaust are stock then the benefit will be next to 0. I run pods but my bike has a bit of work done to it. If I had my choice I would use the airbox but my carbs come off the bike way too much to bother with the airbox. The pods will also add some noise, not reallly the good kind of noise either. They make a sucking sound which it very noticable until you get used to it.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.