29MM Smooth Bores or 34MM RS Flat slides

More
28 Jun 2007 16:28 #153500 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic 29MM Smooth Bores or 34MM RS Flat slides
I think the real question that is still out there is, what do you want for the set you aren't going to use? ;)

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2007 18:03 #153510 by pawkz1k
Replied by pawkz1k on topic 29MM Smooth Bores or 34MM RS Flat slides
PLUMMEN,

You are correct, in that there is some tapering of the intake path from the carb spigot, through the carb boot, and finally to the intake port. However, it is not that bad.

You need to use the J-model carb boots which are alittle bit bigger than the KZ boots.

When I test fit everything togther, I placed a carb boot on one of the the RS34 spigots. The transition from the carb spigot ID to the carb boot ID was nearly perfect. The taper of the carb boot from the sipgot end to the mounting flange is very gradual and, IMHO, is not a serious problem.

There is one issue that needs carfull attention. Since the J-model carb boot ID is slightly larger than the KZ intake port opening, you need to carefully align the boot to the port opening to minimize mis-alignment between the carb boot and the intake port walls. But again, the size difference is minimal and with carefull attention to alignment, the size mis-match can be mitigated. However, to be fair, if the head was off the bike, I would have taken the time to blend the port opening to the boot.

And, I've seen worse carb boot to port mis-matches with stock factory stuff...

Paul W.

1978 KZ1000, 1075cc, SS valves, RS34, Dyna S, welded crank, back-cut trans, Kerker System K exhaust (jethot coated)

More
29 Jun 2007 09:25 #153620 by oldkaw79
Replied by oldkaw79 on topic 29MM Smooth Bores or 34MM RS Flat slides
I have also owned both 29's and flatslides. If you know how to tune the flatslides then they are by far a better carb for the application. The flatslides are very smooth and idle very well. 34's should be just right for a 1105 with a stock head.