air ducts and holders

More
19 Jun 2007 20:09 #151004 by rdgrnr
air ducts and holders was created by rdgrnr
Hey all,
Anybody know of a good source for the 4 air ducts and holders for my 79 Kz1000 LTD (B3) I am assuming the carbs are VM26SS. That is what is stated in the owners manual.
Wiredgeorge told me where to look for carb ID, but after taking them off the bike, I can find no markings anywhere.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2007 06:27 #151426 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic air ducts and holders
Send www.z1enterprises.com a note asking for carb holders and airbox ducts. They may be able to help; I know they stock the carb holders.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 Jun 2007 18:28 #151616 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic air ducts and holders
ok,
Thanks wg...any other ideas you might have in getting the ID on these carbs?

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
21 Jun 2007 19:51 #151636 by wiredgeorge
The ID marks are on the flanges... where they fit into the bracket. Look under your choke lever. It is there... you can also describe the carbs...

* measure ID of engine side venturi
* how many fuel inlets
* accelerator pump or no
* does it have a vacuum port on #3 carb for a vacuum petcock
* what is badge stamping on jet needle? 5CNxx? 5DLxx? etc
* badge stamping on needle jet would lock it up... will say: 258 0-4 or something like that.

I recommend you not attempt to remove the needle jets as you are likely to damage them trying to reinstall... the more stuff you can get off this little list, better chance of figuring out which carbs you have. Easier to just read the ID mark under the choke on the carb flange. It is there...

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
22 Jun 2007 04:07 #151700 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic air ducts and holders
wg,
2 fuel inlets, there is an accelerator pump, and no vaccuum for petcock. I still cant find any marking for ID below chock lever on the flange. I have a pic but don't know where to upload on this site. I'm taking your advice and not removing needle jet. If it is a 26, what would you suggest I re-jet to for 4-1 Kerker if at all?
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
22 Jun 2007 06:52 #151730 by wiredgeorge
If it is the 26 pumpers, the accelerator pump is different than the 28s. The 26 pump uses TWO diaprhagms. On the 28, the bottom diaphragm isn't used and the inter connecting passageway to the bottom is plugged with a brass BB. On the 26 pumper, there is a cover over the bottom diaphragm and it is triangular. The 26 pumpers are among my most non-favorites. There is almost no documentation or specs and the little I have seen is from the Clymers which tells you to turn the pilot mix screws all the way in. I have tried this and it don't work. I personally would pitch those carbs in favor of some non-pump style VM26s (or a non pump set of 28s but these are harder to find unless you use the early Z1 style carbs... only other non pump 28s were on the Z1R).

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!