Petcock thread size - 81 GPz 1100

More
18 Jun 2007 20:43 #150758 by turpehar
Petcock thread size - 81 GPz 1100 was created by turpehar
I've swapped in BS34's and the petcock comes right down on top of the far left carb. I then bought a pingel and it still is 1/2" - 3/4" to low. What I want to do is cut 3/4" off and the use a die on it. Can someone tell me the thread size of the nipple (I said nipple) as in 22mm x YY where YY is the thread pitch. My alternative is to cut the nipple off, patch the hole, then move it forward.

Help Please, thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2007 04:34 #150805 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Petcock thread size - 81 GPz 1100
On a metric bike, the bung (not nipple) is called 22mm and on a Harley it is called 13/16". It is neither metric nor SAE but is NPT (National Pipe Thread). I think it is 3/8 NPT but can't swear to it since I don't understand this standard. I suggest you just put a plate over the current hole location and buy a BLANK pingel adapter and located it elsewhere on the bottom of the tank. You don't really need to bolt the adapter. It will probably stay just fine using the sealer they provide but you could JB Weld it into place.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 Jun 2007 05:43 #150821 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Petcock thread size - 81 GPz 1100
pipe thread NPT, is a standard taper thread, it is made to get tighter (taper) as you tighten it, any time you use pipe thread its best to have teflon tape on the threads, this keeps it from gaulding before it seals, since its the thread that is doing the sealing

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
19 Jun 2007 10:43 #150877 by turpehar
Replied by turpehar on topic Petcock thread size - 81 GPz 1100
I talked to Pingel about that, and they said it wasn't recommended. My experiences at doing something recommended,,,, when it's for myself, trouble soon follows. I think I'll have the bung cut off and moved.
Thanks for the advice.