KZ650... need a lil help/suggestions

More
15 Jun 2007 23:03 #149884 by ShadowRider
KZ650... need a lil help/suggestions was created by ShadowRider
Hey all,

Ok, I have been looking all over the forums but am having a heck of a time trying to find the answer... I know its on here but I must just be blind.

I have a 78 kz650 and need to replace the carbs. 4 years ago my dad gave me this bike when he bought his Vulcan. I took the carbs apart and upon taking it apart I unfortunatly damaged the internals on one of the carbs. Unfortunatly the first of 2 kids came and I was unable to continue working on my project. Now I am able to continue and need a question answered on the carbs.

I want to upgrade the carbs to accomidate future upgrades. What would the most ideal carb replacements be? For example would the carbs from a 900 or 1000 bolt directly on and be a good substitute? Im looking to get something better than what I have but not spend a bunch of cash.. ( I have the ok to continue the work, but on a limited budget lol )

Any help would be appreciated as when it comes to carbs im a bit helpless....

on a side note, anyone know if you can purchase a complete new wiring harness for the entire bike anywhere, or how much is involved with redoing it yourself?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2007 00:12 #149888 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic KZ650... need a lil help/suggestions
Welcome to KZR. Yes you can put carbs from a 900/1000. You need to use the carb holders from same bikes as carbs. You'll have to slot the mounting holes a little. After my header my next upgrade was bigger carbs, I found a nice set of smoothbores for cheep at the time. You'll also to play with the jetting too. As far as a wiring harness I' say good luck on eBay.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
17 Jun 2007 17:44 #150269 by ShadowRider
Replied by ShadowRider on topic KZ650... need a lil help/suggestions
Thanks for the reply! Its frustrating not having the knowledge of what fits where on the older bikes when finding upgrades is so dang difficult.

I found a set for a 900 on ebay, but now he is saying that they came off of a GS550? Where the throttle cable hooks up is in a different position as well.

KZ-900-carbs

Just have to keep looking... Im not in a huge rush to buy them right now anyways, its going to be a long rebuild as it is so no rush to have it going right this second.

Thanks again

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2007/06/17 20:52

More
17 Jun 2007 20:21 #150294 by vach
Replied by vach on topic KZ650... need a lil help/suggestions
Can you put 28mm on a 650 w/ headers and pods?

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
18 Jun 2007 06:34 #150396 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ650... need a lil help/suggestions
Some VM26/28 assemblies will work and some will not. Depends on the type of assembly. Some of the brackets will find interference from the valve cover on the 650.

For instance, the VM26 from the 76/77 KZ900 and the VM26 from the 77 KZ1000 won't fit due to interference. The modifications needed are beyond most folks as it requires extensive modification to the carb holding bracket. The bellcrank on these carbs fits at a different angle so you must use the slides and linking rod from the carbs and the bellcrank won't fit the VM24 style bracket without considerable cutting and modification. Later VM26/28 (78 and later) may not have this issue and may be a direct fit (after changing the carb holders). I have't tried to fit an early VM28 (from a Z1) so can't be sure if there will be interference.

GS550 round slide VM carbs have horizontal ribs (like VM24 and have a unique position for the bellcrank. Rather than located between carbs 2 & 3, it is between 1 & 2.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/06/18 09:35

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!