Another carb sync tool..

More
12 Jun 2007 08:39 #148687 by mariozappa
Another carb sync tool.. was created by mariozappa
I thought it was interesting. It's set up for a twin, but could easily be adapted for a 4 cylinder.

You home engineers will like this one.

faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Is_there_a_carb_sync_tool%3F

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2007 11:14 #148740 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic Another carb sync tool..
Looks like a good method to sync the carbs. I have two questions. 1), if I use 4 of them, do I connect all four, or have 2 sets of 2? And 2), if the carb are out of sync, what is it I adjust to get them in sync?

More
12 Jun 2007 11:30 #148749 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Another carb sync tool..
I have not used this method myself (I shelled out $60 for the vaccuum gauges).
But, They say you can sync carbs 1&2, then do 3&4, then see how close 2&3 are synced. Kind of a PITA, but you saved yourself $60! ;)

You adjust the carbs by pilot screw, I'm sure sure where there located on your bike. On one of my 650's, it's underneath by the float bowl. And another 650 has an air mixture screw on the side on the body of the carbs.

1977 KZ650C1

More
12 Jun 2007 11:59 #148755 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Another carb sync tool..
Uh...depends what carbs you have then, cause you adjust CV carbs by matching 1&2, then 3&4, then 2&3..using the small screws between the intakes. By tightening/loosening the screws you change how the butterflies open, which changes how much the cylinder pulls on the individual carbs, ie: synching them. If one cylinder pulls less than another, you want that one open a tiny bit more to compensate, right?

I've only ever bench synched my carbs..but that works well for me. The alternative is also using your idle adjust screw and opening them up slightly, then tightening the adjuster screws until they're all touching equally, so that all of the butterflies are open the same. That's what I did last time I had my carbs off, and it's working well.

This method looks great..I think I've seen it before, but I'm definitely going to bookmark it, and save some small bottles. Starbucks makes some great iced cap drinks in small glass bottles, that I think would work really well :)

To answer your question.. I'd be inclined to do 1&2 separately, then 3&4, and then synch the two sets together..but having never done it, I don't know if it actually works that way. :S

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
12 Jun 2007 12:09 #148757 by dnpurdy
Replied by dnpurdy on topic Another carb sync tool..
I actually built one of these. Pretty neat design what's better, the only unique portion is the caps. Once you have made those, those are the only parts you need to keep around. Just drink two juices next time you need your carbs synced and use the bottles. For someone who has little storage space, it was a nice setup.

(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now

More
12 Jun 2007 12:10 #148758 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Another carb sync tool..
I just noticed. If you scroll down the carb page look for 'cheap manometer'. Bkitchen posted the ones he made already, which look very similar.
And here I thought I found something different :S

Oh well.....

1977 KZ650C1

More
12 Jun 2007 14:43 #148788 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Another carb sync tool..
I posted this link a few days ago. I found it months ago but never made it. Its perfect for cv carbs as said before.