Cheap Manometer

More
11 Jun 2007 18:44 #148497 by bkitchen
Cheap Manometer was created by bkitchen
I made this up tonight after reading a recent thread and took a few pictures of it. There was a link in the thread on how to make it. I modified it a little with parts I had on hand. Instead of the rubber stopper I just used the regular lids and epoxied the tubing in for an airtight container. Filled the bottles up a few inches with some green water. Tried it out tonight and it works great!! Very simple and easy. Here are a few pics.

Post edited by: bkitchen, at: 2007/06/11 21:45
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2007 18:44 #148498 by bkitchen
Replied by bkitchen on topic Cheap Manometer
A close up of the lid.
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2007 19:00 #148504 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Cheap Manometer
Interesting looking. I built mine from this link , that I found by searching the forums here. Am I looking at your correctly in that the level of fluid (what fluid is that, BTW?) in the bottle will rise/fall, and ultimately be even once sync'd up? How does it do with flutter? I must admin, the one I made flutters badly (Though I understand I could stick some old jets in the tube as restricters).

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
11 Jun 2007 19:07 #148510 by bkitchen
You have it right EsaPro the water levels will even out. I am just using water with green food coloring in it. There is some flutter but it's not that bad at all. This is the first one I have used so I don't have a lot of experience. I might try some ATF next time. One tube connects the 2 bottles and goes down into the liquid. The others that go to your carbs go just below the cap so it makes it harder to pull the liquid back into the carbs.

Post edited by: bkitchen, at: 2007/06/11 22:08

Post edited by: bkitchen, at: 2007/06/11 22:10

More
11 Jun 2007 19:12 #148512 by EsaPro
I sure know about pulling the fluid into the carbs! I used 2-stroke oil for its pretty color, viscosity, and no great harm if some gets in the carbs. The first go nearly pulled everything into the left side! I have to build one of these as you show - looks like a great improvement - Thanks!

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
11 Jun 2007 20:04 #148528 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cheap Manometer
What conversion factor are you using to convert cm Hg to in H2O? (centimeters of mercury to inches of water or oil or whatever other liquid you decide to use?) I understand how you can use any liquid to observe and adjust the vacuum difference between carbs, but in order to ensure the vacuum is 19 - 24 cm Hg @ 950 -1050 rpm don't you need to do the conversion? I once looked at making a manometer using water, but it appeared that the thing would need to be VERY tall to account for the weight difference between water and mercury. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Jun 2007 20:32 #148538 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Cheap Manometer
Why does the actual reading matter? It seems to me that the whole purpose is just to make all the carbs equal, regardless of the actual reading.

KD9JUR

More
11 Jun 2007 21:40 #148567 by bkitchen
I have to agree with Steel. It's just to even them out. And i cn really tell a difference in how it runs after the sync. with this tool.

More
11 Jun 2007 21:46 #148570 by EsaPro
From what I have read, having the two in sync with each other is the key ingredient. Having them in spec against atmosphere is gravy.

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)