Jet Size?

More
10 Jun 2007 20:21 #148155 by coach74Z1
Jet Size? was created by coach74Z1
Going from air box to individual filters on a 74 Z1. When i rebuild the carbs what size jets are needed? Do they come with new ones in the rebuild kit? Where is the best place to get the kit? Bike is running just hesitant and not hitting on one cylinder. not ignition problem - new dyna system. any suggestions. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2007 07:31 #148302 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Jet Size?
I would spray each cylinder with a pump bottle with water. After warm up, the non-firing cylinder will have the water roll off and the firing cylinders will vaporize the water. Once you figure out which cylinder is the culprit, I would swap ignition wires from the same coil. In other words, if the non-firing cylinder is #4, I would swap the 1/4 wires. If the problem moves, you need to re-look at the ignition. I would not make an assumption just because you have new components. If the problem stayed on the same cylinder, I would then swap spark plugs. Just eliminate this stuff for sure.

If you put pods on the 74 Z1A carbs, the carb kits will contain #20 pilots and #112.5 mains and replacment jet needles. I would swap to #117.5 mains and just use the other stuff, as is... 5J9-3 (clip replacement jet needle to 3rd slot) and use the #20 pilots.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Jun 2007 13:46 #148430 by coach74Z1
Replied by coach74Z1 on topic Jet Size?
thanks for the help. i think i know which one it is because i just put new vance and hines exhaust and only one of the piped is not blueing. i will swap the wires and plugs. thanks for the suggestions. any help is greatly appreciated. kinda getting frusterated with it. i drive it everyday, and am fixing it as i go. just can't get over that hump of getting all the cylinders firing together. am i going to hurt the bike still driving it?

More
12 Jun 2007 05:38 #148629 by wiredgeorge
Don't believe you will hurt anything but it would drive me nuts to drive around on 3 cylinders. Don't hesitate to ask questions and I suggest you put your bike year/model and your location in a signture by editing your profile. If someone is close by, they may be able to help.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Jun 2007 13:02 #148770 by coach74Z1
Replied by coach74Z1 on topic Jet Size?
it is driving me crazy and thanks for the advice. actually i may be selling my bike. a friend is offering me a deal on a different bike that i may not be able to refuse. thanks for the help.

More
13 Jun 2007 05:48 #148953 by wiredgeorge
Coach, Where you at in Texas? Thinking of selling your 74? Drop me a U2U and give me some details...

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!