setting carb float levels with water

More
09 Jun 2007 21:07 #147929 by rckz
I'm tired of inhaling volatile organics and getting them all over myself. Has anybody ever set their float levels with water instead of gas. I was thinking I could set the lever a bit lower than usual to account for the higher density of the water relative to gas. Dumb idea?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2007 21:53 #147933 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic setting carb float levels with water
Stick to gas. You don't need to introduce water to the insides of your carbs.

You can wear gloves and keep the area vented to keep your exposure to the gasoline down.

More
10 Jun 2007 06:39 #147981 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic setting carb float levels with water
I agree w/76LTD about introducing water to the carbs. However I used 90% rubbing alcohol, to do my bench adjustment, seemed to work fine. I wouldn't leave the alcohol in it for any length of time, as I don't know what it would do to the rubber parts.
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
10 Jun 2007 06:45 #147984 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic setting carb float levels with water
A little gas on the fingers never hurt anyone! I'm living proo

Acck!

Cough!

Wheeze!

:S :sick: :woohoo:

I have a small gas can that I can attach the fuel line to and run fuel into the carbs. Then I use a small water bottle to catch the drain out and pour it into the other gas can. I hardly ever touch the gas. But then I'm using my custom carb holder.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )