Manometer

More
09 Jun 2007 08:52 #147770 by Ray J
Manometer was created by Ray J
I am thinking of getting a manometer. Does anyone have a Morgan Carbtune($100)? It looks like it just compares the pressure between the carbs. I would like one that tells me the vacuum pressure for each carb. Will the Morgan do, or should I look for one with guages like at z1enterprises ($185):
z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1695

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2007 11:28 #147790 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic Manometer
As a chemical engineer it seems a little crazy to me to invest in a high priced manometer set when someone could make one with 5 dollars in materials at home with a ruler, acrylic hose, a little water, a fitting from the carb to the acrylic hose, the use of some basic math skills and a calculator. It would be a little McGyver, but it would work fine. Unfortunately I cannot find a link that explains it without a pile of engineering mumbo jumbo.

Here is one that explains it with the engineering mumbo jumbo:
www.cbu.edu/~rprice/lectures/pressure.html
just page down to find the section on manometers.

It looks like the carbtune pro
www.carbtune.com/
has four tubes... one for each carb... so it is actually doing the same thing as the pricey gauge set, it's just not as pretty. The carbtune uses the height of the fluid to measure the pressure; the other set is working off of the same principle, just using dial gauges. I have not used either manometer, but my vote would be the Morgan carbtune.

More
09 Jun 2007 12:20 #147804 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Manometer
fishybass wrote:

As a chemical engineer it seems a little crazy to me to invest in a high priced manometer set when someone could make one with 5 dollars in materials at home with a ruler, acrylic hose, a little water, a fitting from the carb to the acrylic hose, the use of some basic math skills and a calculator. It would be a little McGyver, but it would work fine. Unfortunately I cannot find a link that explains it without a pile of engineering mumbo jumbo....

Here's one version :)

H2O Style

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
09 Jun 2007 15:29 #147836 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Manometer
fishybass wrote:

As a chemical engineer it seems a little crazy to me to invest in a high priced manometer ..... Unfortunately I cannot find a link that explains it without a pile of engineering mumbo jumbo.

ROTFLMAO

More
09 Jun 2007 15:33 #147838 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Manometer

More
09 Jun 2007 17:25 #147855 by Ray J
Replied by Ray J on topic Manometer
Yeah, FishyBass, I took Quantum Chemistry, but it was more on the QM side rather than the Chemistry side. If you explained it, I would understand, but really I am just wondering if there is any benefit to it.

If I am going to use it for the next ten plus years, a hundred bucks is not too much to ask when tuning is important. My question is more about the guages. Is it important to know the pressure being pulled by the carbs when sync'ing. In the long run is it beneficial to get one. i.e., why do some people buy them if there is no benefit over the homemade models (which I have). Thanks

More
09 Jun 2007 17:40 #147858 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Manometer
Here's an informative link :)

build your own

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Jun 2007 18:31 #147870 by Ray J
Replied by Ray J on topic Manometer
Thanks, Patton, that just might do it. Simple and cheap.. kinda like me.

More
09 Jun 2007 19:44 #147899 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Manometer
I have a carbtune. Bought it shortly after I got the current bike. A great investment which has paid for itself over and over. I had a shop do my carbs and do a synch when I first got the bike. That was a total waste of money. I bought a carbtune and did it myself and the difference between the shop with their so called "state of the art" gauges and what I did with the carbtune was like night and day.
Simple to use. Simple to hook up and uses no mercury or other liquids. Columns are graduated so you can get a reading but most important is that all cylinders read approx the same.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
10 Jun 2007 07:10 #147989 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Manometer
If you make one yourself DO NOT use water. Waer is too thin and will get sucked into the carbs. I use ATF and it works great. It is thick and red so it is easy to see and will not get sucked into the carbs.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.