Need a Z1 Gas Cap

More
08 Jun 2007 12:37 #147571 by kiriuskris
Need a Z1 Gas Cap was created by kiriuskris
Hey guys,

On my 75 Z1B the previous owner bought a replacement tank after he wrecked and dented the old one. However he waited a few years after getting it to finally take it out of the box. Unfortunately the tank had a huge dent in the side either from shipping or something happened while in storage. The paint on it is flawless so I am going to try to use some dry ice to "pop" the dent out.

Since it's a pretty big dent, I'd like to also put some air pressure inside the tank to help the dry ice and "force" the dent to "pop" out. But in order to do this, I need a gas cap that I can drill a hole into and weld on a air hose fitting. I was curious if anyone had an old tank cap that would work. I'd hate to spend $55 on a new one just so I can ruin the good one I already have.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions or if you have one I could buy.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2007 12:41 #147574 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic Need a Z1 Gas Cap
Don't do the air part. I've heard so many horror stories about busted seams and deformed tanks!
If you're willing to contemplate dropping the quid for a new gas cap, maybe try finding a good Paintless Dent Removal outfit near you.

More
08 Jun 2007 22:09 #147700 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Need a Z1 Gas Cap
Well if you do use some air keep the pressure low, I've heard bad thing about air for popping out dents. When I customize a tank after all the welding is done I check for leeks with 15 P.S.I. I use a pressure regulator with a hose blowing in through the petcock.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.