KZ750 Twin: idle and popping problems

More
05 Jun 2007 07:27 #146476 by al_ndsu
KZ750 Twin: idle and popping problems was created by al_ndsu
I recently cleaned my carbs and put them back on. My bike is running lean (I've checked the plugs and they are white.) Reading other posts I keep hearing to adjust the air pilot screws and put them all the way in and back them out 1 1/2 turns, or check the intake boots.
My air pilots screw don't even go around once. There is a catch and you can only turn them like 180 degrees.
I've checked the boots and there are no cracks and they look fine. I'm going to try the WD-40 trick tonight. I'll attach a picture of the air screw and the catch if no one knows what i'm talking about.
Also I'm looking for an oil and air filter for the 79' twin. Does anyone know of a site? I've been reading posts for about a month and can't find a solution.
THANKS!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
05 Jun 2007 11:12 #146546 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic KZ750 Twin: idle and popping problems
al_ndsu wrote:

....My bike is running lean (I've checked the plugs and they are white.)

Yep, that's lean alright!

Reading other posts I keep hearing to adjust the air pilot screws and put them all the way in and back them out 1 1/2 turns, or check the intake boots.

Mine are actually a bit more. My pilot screws are 5 x 1/2 turns out (that's 2 1/2 total turns, but I keep mental track by half-turns)

My air pilots screw don't even go around once. There is a catch and you can only turn them like 180 degrees.

That's bad. I wonder if you're turning the wrong screw. Pics will help.

I've checked the boots and there are no cracks and they look fine. I'm going to try the WD-40 trick tonight.

Good.

I'll attach a picture of the air screw and the catch if no one knows what i'm talking about.

Good.

Also I'm looking for an oil and air filter for the 79' twin. Does anyone know of a site? I've been reading posts for about a month and can't find a solution.
THANKS!

www.z1enterprises.com ... here's a tip. I but the Fram filters once-in-a-while because they include the figure-8 shaped o-ring you need for the oil filter. But Fram filters are kinda garbage (my opinion), so I never run them much; I usually use the emgo ones, but they do not include the 8-shaped o-ring...

...oh, and welcome, fellow twin owner!

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2007/06/05 14:15

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
05 Jun 2007 13:32 #146561 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic KZ750 Twin: idle and popping problems
Hey Toast, that's a good tip. When I started my rebuild I had a new filter I'd bought 12yrs ago, and used that and it had a fig8 o-ring, but I forgot what brand. Since I've had to buy another and it didn't have the oring, so I thought they no longer put them in. Now I know I need to get a Fram every once and awhile. Thanks.
Hi, Al_ and welcome. I didn't reply to your post earlier because, I think our carbs are different, and didn't have anything intelligent to offer:pinch:. Still can't :blink::) except that Toast's advice is right on. What mods do you have? Pods or AirBox? Most post 78 carbs came w/a plug in the pilot adj screw access hole, so you wouldn't mess w/the needle adjustment/emissions setting. Your's may have a limiter instead of a plug, which like the plug can be removed to get access to the pilot adjuster. Since you have already cleaned the carbs and since you haven't removed the pilot screw to clean that, there could be a problem there? Nice having another Twin in this crowd of Quads :) Welcome again and good luck.
Ron

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/06/05 16:35

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
06 Jun 2007 07:40 #146838 by al_ndsu
Replied by al_ndsu on topic KZ750 Twin: idle and popping problems
I figured out the air pilots. There was a plastic piece that I had to pull off the screws before I could adjust the jets. It's really tricky becuase they make them look like screws but they're not. Tricky...tricky. They were pretty much all the way out. So I got it running WAY better now. It's amazing how, if your bike isn't balanced it loses so much power. It's a rocket compared to what it was before. Runs like a top. I'm not that mechanically inclined. I started with mopeds and moved up to bikes.
I do have one question though. One of the bolts on the engine case was stripped when I bought it and know leaks oil due to the lack of a solid seal. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement. I also need new jets.
Thanks for the help!

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
06 Jun 2007 08:16 #146849 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic KZ750 Twin: idle and popping problems
Glad to hear you made progress!!!
:)

al_ndsu wrote:

.......One of the bolts on the engine case was stripped when I bought it and know leaks oil due to the lack of a solid seal. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement...

If you mean the HEAD is stripped, you can buy stainless, hex-headed screw replacement sets (for both side covers, etc) for those #3 phillips monstrosities. If you mean the thread is stripped, well then, you'll need a Helicoil or Recoil tap and insert kit...

...I also need new jets...

Can't help you with jets, sorry. In fact, I hear they're hard to find for these bikes, but I really don't know...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com