Hard starting

More
03 Jun 2007 17:37 #146004 by wrecktec
Hard starting was created by wrecktec
I have replaced the coils, plugs and wires, points and condensers, cleaned the carbs, and done the WG coil mod on my KZ 305. This thing runs and idles great after running a few munites but is a real pain to get started. Starts fine with a shot of ether, but I don't want to do that all the time. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2007 11:39 #146209 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Hard starting
Either the idle mixture or choke mixture are lean... those are Keihin carbs? Make sure that the choke butterflies SHUT all the way. They can be a pain to get shut properly at times. Do you have the stock airbox on the bike and/or stock pipes? Sounds like perhaps the pilot circuits are still cruddy, an airfilter is dirty or perhaps if you have pulled the airbox, the bike is too lean... could be something as simple as cleaning the pilot jets.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Jun 2007 16:51 #146294 by wrecktec
Replied by wrecktec on topic Hard starting
Yeah, they are CV32's i believe. Everything is stock (airbox, pipes, etc.). I may try a new air filter and another cleaning cause I have to take 'em back off anyway. Thanks for the tips.

More
04 Jun 2007 17:09 #146300 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Hard starting
Got another one far ya. Prime the carbs. Sometimes mine doesn't start because of that. Also on my 81 1000 I don't put the choke all the way one or it will never start then.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
04 Jun 2007 23:34 #146405 by Capt. Quirk
Replied by Capt. Quirk on topic Hard starting
Check for tight intake valves