O-rings

More
03 Jun 2007 17:30 #145999 by wrecktec
O-rings was created by wrecktec
I have replaced the o-rings on the T fitting between my carbs on my KZ305 at least twice. They will seal alright for a couple of days and then start to leak. I am using regular black o-rings out of a metric assortment that I have. Just wondering if there is a special type I should be using? I don't really want to do this again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2007 17:45 #146008 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic O-rings
make sure your carbs are clean then put them together with sealant. i did this 2 years ago and not one leak since. just my 2 cents worth.

More
03 Jun 2007 18:52 #146024 by wrecktec
Replied by wrecktec on topic O-rings
What kind of sealant did you use?

More
03 Jun 2007 19:25 #146039 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic O-rings
It's hard to find for all applications, but * viton * o-rings are supposedly impervious to fuel and other nasties. The better carb kits contain 0-rings made of this material. fyi...and good luck.

More
03 Jun 2007 20:27 #146063 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic O-rings
Like Neil said, "Viton" is what you want. Viton is a Dupont fluorocarbon elastomer. There are some other names for the same stuff made by other companies.

Buna N, (aka nitrile or nitrite) is not as good, but more commonly found in generic sizes.

Here's a place that sells some hard to get Viton orings. They have some oddball Honda sizes, but they have pretty accurate description of the sizes. (I just ordered a bunch of small orings from them,... very good service.) Usually you get an ID (inside diameter) and cross section (thickness of the rubber).

www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/gl_carb_parts.htm

More
04 Jun 2007 16:47 #146290 by wrecktec
Replied by wrecktec on topic O-rings
Yeah, the ones I have are nitrile. I kinda wondered if they would hold up (guess i know now). Think I will try to find some Viton ones. If I remember right from my automotive experience they are red? Anyway thanks for the replies.

More
05 Jun 2007 10:43 - 03 Dec 2008 10:40 #146534 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 10:40 by JMKZHI.

More
05 Jun 2007 11:19 #146547 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic O-rings
The industry, at one point, made some sort of attempt at making a color ID for oring materials, but it didn't really work. Viton comes in several colors, but black seems most common. Brown Viton is supposedly the same as black Viton other than the color.