Choke and idle problems

More
01 Jun 2007 09:03 #145492 by Alex_KZ1K
Choke and idle problems was created by Alex_KZ1K
Ok, I need a little help as to where I should start. First off, I've been riding the bike for a couple of months unaware of the fact that it had no air filter. I'm currently trying to locate some filter foam or something to put on the steel mesh inside the airbox. It's an '82 KZ440 G1. Lately, it's been difficult to start, it runs like crap with the choke on (right cyl misses, hisses, and pops like mad) and the bike won't idle until I've been riding for 20 minutes. Something else I want to add is that I recently discovered a pinhole fuel leak under the paint on the tank, so I have reason to suspect there may be rust particles doing their worst inside the right carb (or both?)

I know I have to pull the carbs to clean them out, but before I put them back on I'm going to get a proper air filter and a small inline fuel filter.

Where should I begin with the carbs and how should I go about cleaning them/checking them? Last time I did this with my 1000, I didn't have the best of luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
01 Jun 2007 16:33 #145560 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Choke and idle problems
Well first off plan on addressing the tank first. A pin hole could be just enough for an engine fire under the right conditions. Secondly if it is that rusted then the carbs are suffering for sure (that and the lack of an air filter).

The carbs you have have vacuum diaphragms,IMHO, this is probably going to be bad on at least one carb. Be very careful in taking these apart as you don't want to damage the diaphragm. I'd drain the bowls into a cup and see what came out first. Next I'd pop the tops off and inspect the diaphragms. Depending on how bad these are is going to determine your best course of action. Might be a quick clean and re-sync. or it could be some major dollars.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.