Lube!

More
30 May 2007 17:43 #145008 by paulie
Lube! was created by paulie
My manual says to lightly "grease" the throttle valves before putting them back into the carbs. what kind of stuff should I use? the manual never says the type.

also, my starter plungers are quite sticky, what should i use to lube those? same stuff as the throttle valves?

thanks in advance guys :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 May 2007 18:46 #145032 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Lube!
ive never put anything on carb slides;)

More
30 May 2007 23:00 #145118 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Lube!
wireman wrote:

ive never put anything on carb slides;)

me neither :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
30 May 2007 23:05 #145119 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic Lube!
I never have either, just remove the plungers and clean really well with carb clean, if everything is clean and in good shape they should operate smoothly

More
31 May 2007 06:27 #145176 by paulie
Replied by paulie on topic Lube!
thanks guys!

i didnt end up lubing the valves/slides, but i did have to dab some 3-in-1 on the plungers, and now theyre nice and smooth. the problem was that without the lube, the plungers only worked if they were being pulled totally straight up. as soon as i put the carbs onto the mounting plate and tried to move them with the choke lever, they would bind up. a little lube on the plungers fixed that up nicely.

again, thanks for all the replies!

wish me luck, this is my first carb rebuild. everythings gone smooth so far, with a little help from a friend :whistle: tonight its carb sync, and then hopefully tuning!

More
31 May 2007 13:13 #145277 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Lube!
paulie wrote:

...tonight its carb sync, and then hopefully tuning!

Should do ALL other tuning before carb sync. This is because carb performance relies on proper ignition and valve settings. In other words, it's best to have everything else spot on before addressing the carbs. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jun 2007 07:39 #145469 by paulie
Replied by paulie on topic Lube!
woops! sorry, my newbie-ness is showing!

by tune i was referring to the carbs! idle speed, mixture, etc. you know, the stuff you do with the carbs actually on the bike :)

More
01 Jun 2007 08:33 #145478 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Lube!
I have this carb cleaner I clean my carbs in call Gumout carb cleaner which has some lube in it. I dip the carbs in it right before assembly so the slides slip in easy and they are dustless and no dirt is on them.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean