5000 rpm idle

More
27 May 2007 13:23 #143999 by BarMan
5000 rpm idle was created by BarMan
ok guys last thing (hopefully) thats apparently wrong with my 1000. First, after i put the carbs back on the bike when i replaced the head gasket, fuel leaked out of the #1 carb manifold boot only while petcock was on prime (i think it only happens while the bike is leaning on kickstand too). After fuel is in bowls was still hard to start. When it did start it idles at 5000 rpm consist. Before i replaced the headgasket it would start at about 2000 rpm then rise to 5000 after i twisted throttle and stay there. The idle screw is all the way out. The throttle cable has more than enough slack to make the butterflies return to (what should be) idle position. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2007 13:30 #144001 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic 5000 rpm idle
i would look at your choke and see if the plungers are sticking.
and then i would disconnect the cable from the carbs to see if it is holding the blades open.
for some reason my bike did the same after i replaced the head gasket.
i had to turn the adjuster at the handle all the way in and the problum was solved.
don't know what happened or why but that solved it for me.

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2007/05/27 16:30

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
27 May 2007 15:19 #144033 by Mcpherson
Replied by Mcpherson on topic 5000 rpm idle
You might of also done this already- check vacum lines and plugs, and check all boots on all carbs even if they look good. I usually use silicon gasket maker and do each boot inside and around the intake. Just a thought... also your chokes are stuck like said above... and if you have the room try putting your hands over each carb to see if it brings it down .... and if it brings it down specifically on one carb... you know where your problem is...

More
27 May 2007 20:09 #144116 by BarMan
Replied by BarMan on topic 5000 rpm idle
A friend of mine who builds race car engines asked me to ask this question... could it possibly be something with the timing advancer?

More
28 May 2007 06:10 #144184 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 5000 rpm idle
Probably not the timing advance... There are phillips head screws that hold the carb holder clamps. If one of these contacts a sync mechanism, the slides will stay open. Could be that the throttle butterflies are sticking and not closing. Remove the carbs and look at those butterflies with the idle screw backed out. They should be CLOSED... not ajar any. Most likely the problem is an air leak. This causes idle to shoot up sky high. CAP the vacuum ports located on the front/top of the carbs with new 7/32" vacuum caps. If you have the emissions stuff on the bike, make sure none of the hoses leak (they would connect via 1 & 4 vacuum ports. Last, check the carb holders themselves for leaks... spray WD40 on the the carb holders while it is "idling" and white smoke will come out the exhaust if you have a leak or the bike will die. It is also a great idea to start the bike without the throttle cable installed. There are lots of brackets and lots of cables for the BS34 and if you have the wrong one, your cable may hold the throttle butterflies open... you MUST see visible slack in the cable between where it enters the little bucket that holds the cable end and the bellcrank (throttle butterfly).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 May 2007 12:56 #144609 by BarMan
Replied by BarMan on topic 5000 rpm idle
ok guys i did everything you said and i think i found the problem but dont know what it is... the valve diaphram does not seat all the way. is it supposed to? there are slots on the side for where it looks like it should go do almost all the way to the bottom. but right now there is about 1/2 clearance from the bottom... could this be my problem?

By the way... when the bike is not running, the butterfly valves are closed... just thought i would say that if it helps

Post edited by: BarMan, at: 2007/05/29 16:21