Does not idle

More
27 May 2007 09:41 #143924 by Ray J
Does not idle was created by Ray J
I just put my carbs back in and got the engine running. Thanks to those that helped. The bike starts with the choke on and will run forever like that, but dies when I give it any gas.
If it warms up for two minutes, then I can give it gas and the rpms stumble up. There is quite a hesitation when I do give it gas even at 5000rpm, and it does not sound perfect. I can push the choke off and it still runs, but when I let go of the gas, it dies. Basically, if the engine is below 2000 rpm, it dies with the choke off.
As I said, I just put the carbs in and turned the air screw back 1 1/2 turns out, which lined each up pretty close to the tick mark on the carb.
Where do I go from here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2007 06:20 #144187 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Does not idle
Ray, It sounds like the carbs were not sufficiently cleaned. Were they bench sync'd per the Kaw factory service manual prior to reinstall?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 May 2007 09:08 #144223 by Ray J
Replied by Ray J on topic Does not idle
Yes, the carbs were cleaned well. And I bench sync'ed them. I downloaded the instrucions from this site, which parallel the manual. I even found 19 gauge wire to use. I didn't know they made 19 gauge wire.

I can see through all of the tiny holes in the jets, etc. I sprayed WD40 around all of the carbs to see if there is a leak somewhere, and nothing.

It seems to me like it is too rich. Could the float levels be too high? They seem to be fine. The thing is, I have a friend with a whole carb sync setup. I wanted to get my bike close to running before I waste his time. Should I just bring it over as is and assume the problem is all synchronization problems?

More
29 May 2007 06:15 #144486 by wiredgeorge
You might try to sync the carbs with a manometer but I have to say it still sounds like the carbs were not bench sync'd properly. The point of bench sync isn't to get the slides excatly the same so much as it is to set the slide heights in the middle of the idle adjust screw's range of operation. You may need to clean better... really can't tell without having the carbs on hand and testing all the passageways for flow. Try sync-ing the carbs to see if that cures the problem but I suspect it won't.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 May 2007 04:51 #144801 by Ray J
Thanks, WG. This was my first time bench sync'ing. I'll have to pull them again and redo it. Hopefully that will do it.

More
03 Jun 2007 15:41 #145966 by Ray J
I took the carbs out again and bench sync'ed them again. When I put them back in, it worked. Not well, but it worked. It now idles without the choke on at about 2000rpm. Of course it surges and coughs, but that is fodder for another post. Thanks

More
05 Jun 2007 06:09 #146452 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Does not idle
How is the vacume in the intake boots?
Did you replace the pilot jets or clean them? I had trouble with mine cause they have been taken out so many times that the head was messed up and almost stripped I did not think it would have an impact on idle but it did I got new ones and now all the cylinders are running at a good mixture.

It sounds like you dont have enough vacume to pull the gas from the pilots. The chock is a enrichening valve. I am thinking that when you open the throttle you loose so much vacume that it doesnt pull any fuel from the carb.

More
05 Jun 2007 10:24 #146528 by wiredgeorge
Really wish you would put a manometer on the carbs... you should have > 20 value of mercury or vacuum in each of the gauges... otherwise, it would indicate that the bench sync done wasn't done correctly. It could also be that your springs in the adjusters are tired... you could take the springs out that sit beneath the adjusters and stretch them some and reinstall. Don't lose the little peg that sits atop the spring and under the ball in the actuator arm.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!