leaky carb?

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2007 13:54 #142848 by violentvintagecycles
leaky carb? was created by violentvintagecycles
Hey guys, i have a problem. Its on a honda tho. When i park it on the sidestand it leaks gas out of the vent tube of the left carb. Yes, left the gas "on". Petcock is vacuum operated, thinking this shouldnt be happening. But if i turn the gas "off", it stops leaking immediately.. I did recently replace the gas tank, and the screen that goes over the petcock tube that goes into the tank was wasted, so i did without it. 30$ online for it. Thought that was a bit much, but is that my problem? Really??
The lines, vent and vacuum are in the right places and securely connected, the bike runs fine. And ya, i know, turn the gas off dummy..but im a forgetful guy.. :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
23 May 2007 17:12 #142902 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic leaky carb?
Your vacuum actuated petcock is shot. They're among the first things to go on older bikes. There are rebuild kits available but I wouldn't bother with them just get a new petcock.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2007 20:22 #142969 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic leaky carb?
Ya, was thinking it had something to do with the petcock. Should have added that is doesnt work on reserve either now.
Ive seen replacement ones in dennis kirk, universal, but know if i saw a vacuum operated one. Assuming I could just switch it out and not worry about the vacuum anymore? And the vacuum line to the petcock, plug that up? Thanks by the way..

More
24 May 2007 05:30 #143048 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic leaky carb?
A vacuum petcock will NOT have an off position... will be PRI ON RES - if the petcock has an OFF position, it is gravity feed. Many of the Honda carb assemblies have a diaphragm ON the assembly for controlling gas flow and there must not be a diaphragm in the petcock.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 May 2007 06:07 #143058 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic leaky carb?
Hey wired, i dunno about that..There is 3 tubes coming off or going in to the petcock, one is a drain/vent, one is vacuum, one is gas feed.The vacuum line goes into the crankcase, and the manual also says its vacuum operated. Now im confused. Again, I didnt have these problems until i switched tanks and threw out that filter.There is no prime, but on, off, res.. The bike is an 82 Honda gl500 silverwing..
Attachments: