Popping carbs

More
22 May 2007 05:18 #142334 by Racer27
Popping carbs was created by Racer27
Hey Everyone, This is my first time owning a bike and I just got it running after doing some needed work.. What Is happening is when I first start the bike I get popping outa the carbs and pipes.... I'm pretty sure the bike is stock, but it didn't come with any air filters.. the only things I've done were take apart the carbs and clean them, I recondioned the tank, set the point gap and set the timing.. I think that they are going to the lean side cause of no air filters.. when I have the choke on it seems to run better without as much popping..If anyone could help a newbie out I'd sure be greatful! Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
22 May 2007 05:51 #142343 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Popping carbs
Welcome to KZr Racer27.

I'd say you pretty much answered your own question.
No air filter = lean condition.
I wouldn't recommend running it like that, cylinders/pistons aren't happy when they're ran lean and super hot. :pinch:

Do you still have the original airbox?
If not, you might be able to locate one on eBay.
Either that, or slap a set of pod filters on there (after you've re-jetted the carbs of course) for a quick and cheaper fix.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
22 May 2007 06:15 #142349 by Racer27
Replied by Racer27 on topic Popping carbs
Thanks RetroRiceRocketRider, I have the air box, but it doesn't have the top... I've got filters on the way, they should be here this week.. Now What should I change the jets to and where can I get them???