turbo project

More
21 May 2007 20:32 #142242 by jordan
turbo project was created by jordan
Thanx for answering all my questions about the turbo setup, but I still have many unanswered questions. I know the 750 turbo would be a better platform but i already have a motor and the project has begun. I have been convinced that a single carb setup would be the best. What kind of carb would be able to feed the motor under boost and high rpm? and also, when designing the intake manifold could i just make an open box type manifold connecting to all four cylinders, with the carb placed on one end? Or would the intake manifold have to be evenly seperated into all four cylinders? Also, how would a fuel pump be setup, and does anybody know how I could circulate oil through the turbo? Maybe you can help me with this Lorcan

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2007 21:17 #142257 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic turbo project
Mikuni flat slide 40mm-ish
dont put the carb on the intake. put it on the turbo inlet for a draw thru setup. this way you dont need a blow off valve. or rising rate fuel pressure regulator IIRC. make the intake box so the inlet from the turbo is in the middle. look at a kit for a busa for ideas on this specific piece
not sure about pump.:pinch:
if you dont have an oil cooler, you could get oil from where you would connect a cooler(oil galley under points cover). if you go with a draw thu setup, you dont need a scavange pump as the oil will gravity dran back to the engine cases(where you would connect the second cooler line, or mod your oil filler cap)

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
22 May 2007 10:23 #142431 by meangreenz28
Replied by meangreenz28 on topic turbo project
If you are doing a draw through, dosen't the turbo have have to be carbon sealed or something. And how would you tell if it is carbon or dynamic sealed

More
25 May 2007 02:25 #143328 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic turbo project
Yes the turbo has to be carbon sealed. A turbo off a car that is blow-through uses something similar to a piston ring for a seal. It only seals one way, when it has pressure (boost) on it. This is a "dynamic" seal. If you use a blow-through turbo in a draw through application when you shut the throttle the vacuum will draw oil from the centre section of the turbo into the compressor housing, and from there into the engine. One of the reasons Rajay turbos are popular on bikes is that they are carbon sealed from new. You can get other turbos sealed by the manufacturer if you are ordering a new one. You would have to ask a nice friendly turbo company to do it for you on a used item.

The best draw through carb for big bikes is the Mikuni HSR42. I don't know how well this would work on a 750 though. It would probably be ok.

My preference for oil supply is to drill and tap the plug at the rear of the front-to-back oil galley and use that as a feed. If you are placing the turbo behind the block you should have no problems draining back to the cases, just make sure they are well vented.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
25 May 2007 20:02 #143545 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic turbo project
Well then our turbo from an eagle talon is most likely not carbon sealed, right? We will prolly just do the blow-through setup instead then. How would you set up a regulator to supply more fuel as boost increases?

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

More
29 May 2007 06:26 #144489 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic turbo project
You need a boost-compensating "3 port" regulator linked to boost pressure at the throttle bodies. You also need to link the float bowls of the carbs to boost pressure. I've seen this done quite successfully using pitot tubes but from what I've read it takes a bit of setting up to get it right. Sorry I can't give you specifics, injection is my thing, not carbs.

And yes your car turbo most likely won't be carbon sealed.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
09 Jun 2007 08:44 #147767 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic turbo project
jordan wrote:

Thanx for answering all my questions about the turbo setup, but I still have many unanswered questions. I know the 750 turbo would be a better platform but i already have a motor and the project has begun. I have been convinced that a single carb setup would be the best. What kind of carb would be able to feed the motor under boost and high rpm? and also, when designing the intake manifold could i just make an open box type manifold connecting to all four cylinders, with the carb placed on one end? Or would the intake manifold have to be evenly seperated into all four cylinders? Also, how would a fuel pump be setup, and does anybody know how I could circulate oil through the turbo? Maybe you can help me with this Lorcan

I've been reading a lot about turbos and oil flow. The concensus I've come to is that while a separate pump, cooler and filter aren't needed to make it run. They really should be put in place for longevity. Pumping oil debris throught the turbo can toast bearings. Gravity drain is fine only as long as the drain doesn't clog. The Oldkawman lists a good cooler that works well, fits well and can be plumbed in line with your turbo oil supply. I'm thinking a deep sump pan can be made and a tapped in the bottom. An oil feed line from here can use an electric pump+filter to suplly your turbo. A separate timed relay can ensure good flow for a minute or so once the key is turned off to keep things cool. Check valves will restrict flow and prevent oil from remaining in the turbo and being coked.

hope this helps...(and I hope I made sense)

sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons