Pilot jets and mixture screws

• IntroSpectre
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2007 12:46 #141753 by IntroSpectre
Pilot jets and mixture screws was created by IntroSpectre
Hey everyone,

I've got a general question about a specific problem. My problem is that the carb rebuild kits I ordered for my '83 KZ550 F1 contain new pilot jets that appear to be smaller than the original size of #32. Unfortunately, K&L didn't stamp a size on the new ones.

So my question is this: can I install the new pilots and just use the air/mixture screw to compensate for any loss of response the new pilots might create? Can I simply richen the pilot circuit with the screws and basically get the same performance I have been?

Thanks,

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2007 14:10 #141760 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Pilot jets and mixture screws
Good question.
Your idea to use idle/air screws to compensate is theoretically possible, but if your original pilot jets are in prime condition and the bike was running well before the rebuild, you might consider re-using the "old" pilots to avoid trouble.
Good luck.

• IntroSpectre
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2007 14:53 #141773 by IntroSpectre
Replied by IntroSpectre on topic Pilot jets and mixture screws
Unfortunately, the pilot jets were the reason for the rebuild (along with the float needles). Upon taking out all the old pilots, I found they were all clogged with gunk. Sprayed some carb cleaner into them, compressed air, and was able to sight through what appeared to be an unobstructed jet.

So in response, the stock pilots weren't in good shape, and I've been told that they are difficult to clean, even if you think you've gotten it flowing.

I don't know what to do then. Old or new?

More
21 May 2007 06:51 #141955 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Pilot jets and mixture screws
Try the new ones. Cleaning pilot jets is an iffy thing. If they have dried gas stuck in the hole, you can use carb cleaner and a wire cleaning set but the wires in the cleaning set are serrated (rough edges) and tend to take out brass as well as the old goo... when you change the shape of the chamfered edge, the gas won't diffuse as it should... in other words, instead of a tight spray, you will get a splatter. If you choose to clean the old pilot jets, blow some carb cleaner through the new pilot jets from the pickup end (the end with the slot) and observe the pattern of the gas coming out (wear eye protection). Do the same with the jets you clean... the pattern should be similar... if it is a splatter, do more cleaning or chuck the pilot jets. Try the new jets and see if they work OK... I am pretty sure they will. I have used the kits you speak of.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!