Idle drop

• archaicbiker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2007 20:15 #141620 by archaicbiker
Idle drop was created by archaicbiker
I got the float bowls to quit leaking, and she runs good and pulls strong thru the rpms now so she seems to be dialed in pretty good. Im not sure if this is a carb problem, but when I lean it over on the kickstand the idle drops. Its not kinked fuel lines and its not binding of the throttle cable. Any ideas? :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2007 09:03 #141702 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Idle drop
The float levels need attention. When the bikes goes to sidestand, some of the pilot jets are not picking up fuel or not as much fuel as they should. Use the SERVICE FUEL LEVEL method; that is, a clear plastic tube held next to the float bowl when the carburetors are dead level. You then need to bend the float tang up to allow less gas into the bowl and bend the float tang down to allow more. The gas line should be 4mm below the bowl gasket mating line. I do this job with the carbs off the bike using an auxiliary gas tank and the carbs held in a mounting rack made for this purpose. Do not allow air bubbles in the clear hose; you can either gently blow to dislodge or tap. Also, don't move the hose once you have the gas flowing. You can by a 1/4" staight vacuum fitting and screw it into the 6mm drain hole in a carb and put the hose on the end of the fitting.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• archaicbiker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2007 16:19 #141816 by archaicbiker
Replied by archaicbiker on topic Idle drop
I thought that might be the problem. Where can I get a vacum nipple that will fit? I wanted to set the float level this way but I have no idea where to get one. :blush:

More
21 May 2007 05:32 #141936 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic Idle drop
if your kickstand is bent and the bike really leans to the left the settings will be right and fine when it's level and very wrong while on the sidestand. I'd consider this before changing the settings. oil will have a problem getting to#3 & #4 cam lobes too at severe lean angles whith the engine running while leaning on a bent sidestand.

just another perspective on what affects carburation

More
21 May 2007 06:39 #141952 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Idle drop
You can get a variety of vacuum fittings at any auto parts store. Ask the clerk where the vacuum fittings are located. They will have a variety of diameter fittings in straights, tees, etc. Use 1/4" because that size is SLIGHTLY larger than the 6mm hole you will thread the fitting into and the soft plastic stuff will seal decently and not leak... you will get a drop or two. You can put a wrapping of teflon tape to reduce any dripping if you like but it isn't really necessary.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!