Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carb cleaning 22 Dec 2005 18:02 #14155

• CombatWombat
  • CombatWombat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
what kind of cleaning is necessary for carbs that have sat for at least 5-10 years. I have soaked the bodies overnight, blown them out, and put in rebuild kits and accel pump rebuild kits, but the bike still doesnt run well. some cylinders are running better than others (1 barely runs, 2 and 3 run ok, and 4 runs good) , and I think the ignition is good. Is there any other cleaning methods I should use?
thanks
Joel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carb cleaning 22 Dec 2005 20:48 #14181

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Don't neglect the ignition.

You'll probably want to check voltage to the coil, as well as coil resistance; follow WiredGeorge's recent instructions , which give a good procedure. Consult your shop manual for specifics, or if you measure numbers but aren't sure what they mean just ask on the forum. If the voltage to your coils isn't where it should be, consider the coil powering mod (search the Filebase, it's in the "popular" section) to give those coils a boost.

If the carbs have sat for that long, I'd wager the points have done the same. If that's the case, get ye over to www.z1enterprises.com/ and get some new points and condensers at the very least.

I can't speak for the Dyna distribution setup, but if you've got the dough it comes *highly* recommended by others around here.

Post edited by: GargantuChet, at: 2005/12/22 23:54

carb cleaning 02 Jan 2006 15:30 #15698

• Rickman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
cleaning is good, but even brand new they won't run well if they are out of balance, or out of tune -- your message doesn't say much about tuning.
1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

carb cleaning 02 Jan 2006 17:00 #15717

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
ignition is definitely something to look at. my kz1000 has a dyna ignition and coils while my kz900 has standard points and coils. they are like night and day. the dyna ignition is far superior. if staying stock is not an issue for you then i would suggest it when you can.

carb cleaning 02 Jan 2006 18:31 #15735

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
A few years back when I was having carb problems I soaked and blew them out several times but they never really worked properly until I totally disassembled them and poked a nylon bristle or heavy fishing line through every single hole and passageway I could find and only when I got bored doing that did I blow and blow with an air line from my local gas bar. Being really thorough with all the little holes and passages really paid off.

Also, I agree with the rest of the guys about the balance and the ignition
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Page: