Which carbs are these?

More
17 May 2007 20:14 #141130 by CruisingRam
Which carbs are these? was created by CruisingRam
Title say it all! 1982 KZ 1000 LTD

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2007 06:00 #141193 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Which carbs are these?
Mikuni BS34

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
18 May 2007 07:29 #141224 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Which carbs are these?
To add to WG's post, they are CV or constant velocity carbs. My manual says they can handle changes of altitudes like fuel injection and I guess don't need much jet changes

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
18 May 2007 07:49 #141240 by udder
Replied by udder on topic Which carbs are these?
yup those look like me bs34's but what is the hose off of the top the carbs????? i believe its just an access for syncronizing correct? mine just have sleeves over them.

More
18 May 2007 07:56 #141245 by wiredgeorge
Geesh... constant velocity carburetors are far more fussy about needing to be rejetted for altitude or airbox/pipe changes. Altitude=Fuel Injection? HUH?

The hose on the #4 carb vacuum fitting is connected via a tee to the one on the #1 carb and those connect to the vacuum switch which opens the reed valves on the valve cover... emissions control stuff.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
18 May 2007 08:26 #141257 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Which carbs are these?
No WG, I meant they sense vacuum and adjust to which fuel/air mix you need at different altitudes, the mechanical way to how cars today sense how much air comes in the intake and matches the fuel to it. I am trying to make the point but I don't know if I did yet.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
18 May 2007 09:12 #141267 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Which carbs are these?
wiredgeorge wrote:

Geesh... constant velocity carburetors are far more fussy about needing to be rejetted for altitude or airbox/pipe changes. Altitude=Fuel Injection? HUH?

The hose on the #4 carb vacuum fitting is connected via a tee to the one on the #1 carb and those connect to the vacuum switch which opens the reed valves on the valve cover... emissions control stuff.

So tell me- can I run pods on it without screwing up tuning too much?

I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
18 May 2007 11:08 #141315 by wiredgeorge
Yes, you can run pods. You need to rejet. If you look on the side of the jet needles, I can take a guess as to how to rejet. Some of the 4xxxx jet needles are real rich compared to others in both the 4xxxx and 5xxxx series. The richer jet needles require #130 mains for pods plus #40 pilots (type BS30/96). The rest of them require #140 mains and #40 pilots. I only mention this because I think Canadian models have the richer jet needles but can't say for sure. I suspect your j bike could be a Canadian model?

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 May 2007 10:53 #141511 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Which carbs are these?
wiredgeorge wrote:

Yes, you can run pods. You need to rejet. If you look on the side of the jet needles, I can take a guess as to how to rejet. Some of the 4xxxx jet needles are real rich compared to others in both the 4xxxx and 5xxxx series. The richer jet needles require #130 mains for pods plus #40 pilots (type BS30/96). The rest of them require #140 mains and #40 pilots. I only mention this because I think Canadian models have the richer jet needles but can't say for sure. I suspect your j bike could be a Canadian model?

I will have to research it- it could just as easily be a japanese/euro spec bike up here, I would have to see what dealership it might have been sold at in time- the Kawi dealer here "back in the day" didn't always get American spec bikes, we frequently got Euro or Jap spec bikes- like the japanese spec Z1 that is actually a 750? IIRC. We have a few of them,

on top of that, we have military dudes bringing what would normally be "grey market" bikes here.

I hate electrical stuff.

More
19 May 2007 13:15 #141540 by wiredgeorge
The Japanese model that is the same as the Z1 but is a 750 is a Z2 (not a Z1).

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!