rust in tank

More
17 May 2007 18:32 #141113 by Christo
rust in tank was created by Christo
well, I discovered that I have rust in my tank, I think it;s just surface rust and I'm looking in to how to deal with it. I've read all the posts in here about using nuts bb,s acid etc and I think that I'm going ot try using a mild acid (naval jelly or something like that) with a box of 1/4" nuts, shake the hell out of it for as long as I can and see what happens. what I want to know is this...my bike has a fuel guage in it, what is the risk of taking that out and sealing it up ? as well what is the risk of taking out the petcock ??..I'm just afrain that afterwards I'm going to have fuel leaks from either of these two openings ...another question..my bike has a fuel line filter, one filter..but there are two lines from the petcock..should both lines have filters ?? I've foulied two plugs on my #3 cylinder and I wonder if it's rust thats doing it...any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
17 May 2007 18:58 #141120 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic rust in tank
Christo wrote:

...but there are two lines from the petcock..should both lines have filters ?? I've foulied two plugs on my #3 cylinder and I wonder if it's rust thats doing it...any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated ...

I wouldn't think rust-clogged carbs would foul plugs, that doesn't compute to me, but I don't know.
Can't comment on the fuel gage, because I've never seen one.
If it's just surface rust, why bother?
I did BBs in the dryerfor 1/2 hour each direction, then blow/rinse, naval jelly for 10 minutes, then rinse. The thing looks brand new.
Should one of those lines be vacuum?

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
18 May 2007 05:59 #141192 by Christo
Replied by Christo on topic rust in tank
you might be right about the second line (I'm just reaching for some sort of explanation) as for your bb's and naval jelly experience, it sounds like it worked well for you and that gives me some hope if all goes well this weekend I'll try it. (if I can find naval jelly) from what I've read about plugs fouling compression may be an issue which makes me nervous since my bike has over 100 000 km. I guess a compression test is due. My bike runds great otherwise and really I havent given it a good run this year, maybe that will help.

More
18 May 2007 08:37 #141259 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic rust in tank
You should be ok. I wouldn't worry about removing the fuel guage, and that is a vacuum line for your vacuum actuated petcock. I have the 81 LTD

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
18 May 2007 09:41 #141282 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic rust in tank
I've always removed the fuel gauge before doing an acid wash. there's a potentiometer in there which I doubt would stand up to even phosphoric acid.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
18 May 2007 09:51 #141286 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic rust in tank
I would definitely remove the fuel gauge and petcock before using naval jelly! :S
You shouldn't have to worry about fuel leaks, as there are gaskets on the m ating surfaces to help make a tight seal against the tank.
I have used the naval jelly with good results, but if left empty, even for a short time, I've had the surface rust reappear.

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2007/05/18 12:52

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
18 May 2007 10:21 #141299 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic rust in tank
those 2 extra lines your talking about, one is a vacuum line, the other a vent. Make sure you get them on right, sounds like the petcock is vacuum operated. Wont get any gas thru it if the vacuum line isnt hooked up.

More
18 May 2007 10:23 #141301 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic rust in tank
My guess is that if you're seeing surface rust when looking into the filler neck, there is probably some deep pitted rust on the underside of the top of the tank. I have used the POR-15 Cycle Tank Sealer kit on three tanks that were heavily rusted. So far, so good.

You have many choices.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
18 May 2007 13:36 #141344 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic rust in tank
I've done this work on 3 different tanks over the past 3 years. Both tanks for my 650 (two different paint jobs to change things up ever so often) and also my son's 1974 Kawasaki Enduro which we restored.

The first tank had sat for 10 years and could have had a science experiment performed on the gel inside the tank.

I had this one professionally cleaned then sealed. It set me back about $150 and hasn't caused me a problem yet. Most shops don't want to touch a tank that has a nice paint job but I was re-doing my paint so it wasn't an issue.

The second tank I did myself. To clean out the surface rust I went to the hardware store and bought about 3 pounds of roofing nails. They are easier to get out than 1/4 inch nuts and the sharp points did a nice job of loosening up the rust. To rinse out the tank I used diluted muriatic acid and cut it with 2 parts of water. To finish things off I rinsed it with several flushings of gasoline.

I then went out and picked up a can of Red-Kote from a radiatior/gas tank shop for 50 bucks.

This stuff is specifically for gas tanks and you simply pour in the syrupy Red-Kote and roll it around the tank. It adheres to the inside surface and stays almost gummy. It will not dry or flake off and plug up the petcock or get in the carbs.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...