Cold air and pod filters.

More
16 May 2007 09:28 #140606 by barquirt
Cold air and pod filters. was created by barquirt
Does extremely cool or cold air mess up an engine equipped with pod filters? Say, if you're heading out in low 40s or high 30s? My '77 KZ650 has pods on it and I'm wondering if riding when it's that cold might have some kind of bad effect on my engine/jetting... just curious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2007 10:07 #140618 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Cold air and pod filters.
I don't think temperature is a problem, but rain and crosswinds are the main headaches you'll see running pods, and the weight of the carbs on the intake manifold rubber takes its toll. Find a way to support the carbs in the rear.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
16 May 2007 10:24 #140628 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic Cold air and pod filters.
Can't think of any harm to the engine done by air in that temperature range, in fact mine seems to like the cooler air. But then, high 30s low 40s is too cold for the pilot!:pinch: Be interesting to hear from some cold climate members and some of these guys that ride in the snow. The main thing I'd be concerned about is condensation.

More
16 May 2007 10:31 #140631 by barquirt
Replied by barquirt on topic Cold air and pod filters.
I've made some simple support straps for the carbs so they aren't just hanging on the manifold boots. I'd recommend this as it helps for smoother running, too.

Why would crosswinds mess up a set of pods? I could see how a soaking rain might (ha ha, WOULD) be an issue but wind?

More
16 May 2007 10:54 #140638 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Cold air and pod filters.
barquirt wrote:

Does extremely cool or cold air mess up an engine equipped with pod filters? Say, if you're heading out in low 40s or high 30s?

No problem at all. Cold air is denser/heavier so the bike seems to run better. I have pods.
No problems with condensation and as for snow - that's what snowmobiles are for :) ....wish I had one.:(

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
16 May 2007 11:32 #140655 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Cold air and pod filters.
barquirt wrote:

I've made some simple support straps for the carbs so they aren't just hanging on the manifold boots. I'd recommend this as it helps for smoother running, too.

Why would crosswinds mess up a set of pods? I could see how a soaking rain might (ha ha, WOULD) be an issue but wind?

Wind just messes up the flow of air into the pods for lack of a better way to put it. (Or lack of knowing the exact answer).:)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 10:22 #141300 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cold air and pod filters.
barquirt wrote:

blows the air away from the pods making a temporary rich condition ;)

More
18 May 2007 14:08 #141346 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic Cold air and pod filters.
It is my opinion that given a certain amount of cross flow of air at some velocity at right angles to the pod would result in a somewhat low pressure area thereby causing some reduction in and reversal of the vacumn needed to pull air into the carburater intake.

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 17:54 #141373 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cold air and pod filters.
hwms wrote:

It is my opinion that given a certain amount of cross flow of air at some velocity at right angles to the pod would result in a somewhat low pressure area thereby causing some reduction in and reversal of the vacumn needed to pull air into the carburater intake.

yeah like harry said!:P

More
19 May 2007 10:13 #141490 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Cold air and pod filters.
My bike would bog down for a moment at times with strong cross winds, when I had pods.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
20 May 2007 10:46 #141741 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Cold air and pod filters.
Rode yesterday...it rained a bit,off and on...pretty windy at times,and I noticed a difference in how the bike ran.More popping than usual,and some hesitation at times.;)
(I'm running pods,btw.)

1977 KZ1000 A-1