Running fuel lines

More
16 May 2007 00:17 #140528 by chupinator
Running fuel lines was created by chupinator
Hi all,
When I bought the bike (less than a week ago) the airbox was gone and lines were hanging out all over the place. Today I tried running the fuel lines, but I found out that I was running lines into the airvent as well as the fuel fitting. So I need your help. I have a 76 kz900 that I will be putting pods on. There are two lines coming out of the petcock(I dont think it is a vacuum petcock) so do I just run one line to each fuel fitting. And can I just leave those vents uncovered? This is what Im going off of right now: img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=carbexplode3bf2.png

I also had a problem with a float I guess. The overflow pipe would stream gas for about a second, then a pause, then it would do it again. So Im going to take out the float and clean the float valve needle and valve seat. If Im missing something let me know.

1976 KZ900 A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2007 03:53 #140537 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running fuel lines
Uncertain about carb shown in the link. Note the large drain screw on bottom of float bowl, whereas the stock KZ900 carbs have side located drain screws and overflow nipples on bottoms of float bowls.

Here's the stock KZ900 carb, a Mikuni VM26:

There is a T fitting between the right pair of carbs and another T fitting between the left pair of carbs (located close to the pilot air acrews). The T fitting is called a "fuel pipe".

A fuel line runs from one petcock outlet to one fuel pipe. A second fuel line runs from the other petcock outlet to the other fuel pipe. Best to add an accessory in-line fuel filter to each fuel line between the petcock and fuel pipe.

Above the fuel pipe on each pair of carbs is a brass colored air vent nipple serving that pair of carbs. A tube should run from each air vent nipple through a hole provided in the frame to underneath the seat.

Tubes from the four drain nipples on bottoms of float bowls should be routed out the right side to underneath the bike (near where the battery overflow tube terminates in the kickstand bracket area).

Good luck with the connections. :) :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/05/16 07:04:)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/05/16 07:28

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
16 May 2007 06:00 #140552 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Running fuel lines
See the "VM CARB CONNECTIONS" link on our website under "wg's Tech Stuff Index". The carburetor assembly pictured is either a Z1/Z1A VM28SC (73/74).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
16 May 2007 06:14 #140555 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Running fuel lines
If you are having carb problems and have to clean one of them anyway I'd suggest taking them all apart and giving them all a thorough cleaning while you are at it. My experience if you have one that is a problem there are more problems not far behind. They probably need a cleaning. Lot's of previous carb cleaning threads on here for advice on that. If you are going to POD's you may need to rejet too, I'd pose that question on WiredGeorges site for best jetting advice. Take note of the small numbers written on the main and pilot jets while they are apart, and what exhaust system you have etc.

Ron

More
16 May 2007 09:01 #140596 by chupinator
Replied by chupinator on topic Running fuel lines
Thanks Everyone. I get it now.(Yay!) And I do have a Mikuni VM26. I thought that the drain plug in that pic looked weird. Thanks again.

1976 KZ900 A4

More
16 May 2007 10:33 #140633 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running fuel lines
Here's a neat article on Z1E website with pics and info about different carbs from Z1 to KZ900 and 29 smooth bores. :)

carb info

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD