Carb bowl fuel seepage

• archaicbiker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2007 20:10 #140475 by archaicbiker
Carb bowl fuel seepage was created by archaicbiker
I cleaned and sync carbs and shes running pretty darn good. My problem is im getting some fuel seepage past the bowl gaskets even though they are new. Any tips/tricks etc to fix this problem? :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2007 20:26 #140487 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Carb bowl fuel seepage
Are You SURE that the fuel is coming from the BOWLS...and not the "T-Fittings" that join the carbs together,or the fuel-line t's?
The fuel will leak from those fittings,and build up on the bowls,making You think it's the bowls that are the culprits...be sure.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
15 May 2007 20:30 #140491 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Carb bowl fuel seepage
To add to Sandy's point, gas will follow all sorts of contours and obscure its point of origin.

I have used Teflon tape to improve the seal on those tee fittings which usually seem to become worn down over time due to movement.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
15 May 2007 20:41 #140494 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Carb bowl fuel seepage
Exactly what Nate said!

On My old 26mm carbs I was using,I too,used the teflon-tape and it worked like a charm for 2-3 seasons,before I switched to the 29mm carbs. B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
15 May 2007 22:07 #140518 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Carb bowl fuel seepage
If new fuel pipes are desired, they are available from Z1E --

fuel pipe

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 May 2007 23:27 #140527 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Carb bowl fuel seepage
Nice, I keep on wondering where the fuel is leaking on my 26's . I think I will pull them off and try the teflon tape.

I know this thread wasn't intended for me, but I think it is going to help me. Thanks.

More
16 May 2007 03:28 #140533 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Carb bowl fuel seepage
One problem I've seen on several sets of these old carbs is where previous owners have overtightened the float bowl screws and distorted the carb body - essentially pulling the corners of the float bowl mount area downwards - often a visual look will see the corners slightly bent downwards.

In cases like this, the gasket can't easily do it's job - I know a couple of customers have double-gasketed the float bowl in an attempt to stem the weeping.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
16 May 2007 09:27 #140605 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Carb bowl fuel seepage
I've worked on several carbs with the bent float bowl corners. I could never get the bowls to seal. I placed the bowls upside down on on open vice and lightly tapped the bottom with a hard plastic hammer. They slowly bent the corners back. They sealed after that.

• archaicbiker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2007 19:50 #140793 by archaicbiker
Replied by archaicbiker on topic Carb bowl fuel seepage
Thanks for all the replys. The tees looked almost new but I will check them anyway. Its more likely the bent corner thing since the screws were so tight and they were leaking around the bowl when I took them apart. I guess I shoulda checked it out while I had them apart. I took my time cleaning and setting the carbs but got excited when it was time to put the bowls on and fire her up. She runs really good now, I just hate to take her back down but I cant have my son riding a fire hazard. Thanks for the help! :)