Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Are these carbs trash? 21 Dec 2005 21:03 #14030

• xsjunky
  • xsjunky's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just got these carbs off ebay. I was tearing them down for a cleaning and noticed a huge gash. I can't figure out how whoever did it did it. Upon further inspection, they appear to be filled with something rubbery, possibly silicon gasket type material, but not sure. They are 26mm Mikunis off of a '76 KZ900.

Do you guys think this carb is garbage? Is there some way to test if it can be used?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are these carbs trash? 21 Dec 2005 22:52 #14037

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
What the heck is that!? Maybe JB Weld or some form of epoxy or filler that is fuel resistant.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Are these carbs trash? 22 Dec 2005 01:35 #14043

• wireguy
  • User
parts bin material ,id say.

Are these carbs trash? 22 Dec 2005 05:50 #14049

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Interesting work. Not sure what purpose the slots/holes could be but whoever did it spent a lot of effort to make them. I suggest you find out if the slots/holes go anywhere or cut into any internal passageway. In other words, do they lead anywhere? If not, JB Weld can definitely be used to fill them. ANY rubbery material will quickly degrade near the gas (silicon based stuff) and make a mess.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Are these carbs trash? 22 Dec 2005 10:12 #14073

• xsjunky
  • xsjunky's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
It is just in one carb. I doubt the gash was intentinal. Otherwise they wouldn't have filled it in. I can't really tell if there is a passage there or not I was kinda hoping you all might know. I'll check it out further. Until then, check this out for your own ebaying safety.

Are these carbs trash? 22 Dec 2005 11:10 #14077

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
There isn't much chance of anyone knowing without the carb in hand. The pilot jet passageway from the air jet is very close to the hole. Do this... take a 4mm bolt and stick it in the pilot jet hole. Hold your finger over the mixture screw hole. Then spray carb cleaner into the air jet on the side where the pilot jet is located. This air jet is on the edge of the intake venturi. See if carb cleaner wants to come through the hole that is in the top of the bowl chamber. If the hole is deep enough, it could also cut into the channel where the bowl vent is located... you just can't tell which carb we are looking at from the pic for sure so this side of the top of the bowl chamber may or may not be adjacent to the vent side of the carb. The vent is the HOLE in the top of the bowl. It is only on one side and the other hole is plugged or a dummy... If the notch that was cut is deep enough, it could run into the vent system. In either case, JB Weld might possibly be used to fix the hole but you will have to take care not to overuse the stuff and smush it into either the real vent or pilot air passageway. If you use JB Weld, wait a full 24 hours for it to cure and keep the carburetor fairly warm during the curing process (not left out in freezing cold) as it is epoxy and epoxy doesn't cure well in cold.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Are these carbs trash? 24 Dec 2005 08:34 #14384

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
thankfully, you can find vm26's fairly easily on ebay cheap. that carb body looks as though a screwdriver tip went thru it. lately, the ebay sellers have gotten crappy.. selling junk. i'm sorry this happened to you. i bought a set of 26's off ebay cheap just for a body and spare parts.

• Page: