KZ650C no choke no go

More
14 May 2007 09:04 #139883 by OldMan
KZ650C no choke no go was created by OldMan
Hello again,

As an update, DYNA upgrade went well, bike started after some cranking. First problem gas coming out of air box, solved by fixing fuel petcock, and not flodding the carbs.

Now bike only idles on full choke. Even after a couple of minutes of warm time. I pulled the carbs off to check for blockages. There was some crud in the bowls probably as a result trying to clean the tank, but nothing major. Anyways, what I did find was that the diaphram on the Accerator Pump was severly deteriorated, and the other triangular shaped one, which seems to be some sort of vacumm area. Would this be the source of my troubles? Also is there some initial setting for the pilot jet? I have it backed out one and one half turns.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2007 11:50 #140324 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ650C no choke no go
The pilot jet isn't an adjustment item other than to change jet sizes... if you refer to the mixture screw, that affects idle and off idle transition; 1.5 turns out from lightly seated will get you into the ball park. Sounds like your carburetors need to be disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt. Consider that if your mixture screw adjustments don't work.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
15 May 2007 13:09 #140346 by OldMan
Replied by OldMan on topic KZ650C no choke no go
Thanks, I have been doing some reading here, and trying to educate myself. Air mix screw, I get it now. I have tried to clean the carbs best I can, and have ordered the AP parts, so we will do another test as soon as they come in. I hope it is just bad carbs, and not anything more serious.

More
18 May 2007 06:04 #141195 by OldMan
Replied by OldMan on topic KZ650C no choke no go
New question for someone. There is a pipe that extends into the carb bore on the output side. I believe this is the pilot jet. It has a very tiny opening, and most the carbs seem to have some residue, almost rust like around the opening on this tube. With the bowls off I can clean it only up to the angle. How does one clean this tiny little thing? It does not appear to be a removable part.