Cylinder not operating.

More
13 May 2007 11:49 #139688 by Ray J
Cylinder not operating. was created by Ray J
One of my cylinders (#4) is not firing on my 900LTD. I put my thumb over the spark plug hole and am getting compression. I am getting a spark at the plug, thanks to Patton et al. But the new spark plug I put in is shiny and dry and the #4 exhaust pipe is cold when the engine runs.

I am assuming there is a problem with the carb. Is there any way to check this? I reved it to 5000 rpm. I loosened the screw at the bottom of the float bowl and gas came out. I just cleaned the carbs, and all of the floats seemed to be at the same level before I put them in.

What do I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2007 13:25 #139719 by cuddies
Replied by cuddies on topic Cylinder not operating.
What color is the spark coming off of the #4 spark plug. You want a nice, deep blue color. A faded yellow/orange is a indication of a weak spark. Thats something simple to check.

More
13 May 2007 13:29 #139721 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Cylinder not operating.
No guarantee that it will cure the problem, but, try revving it up a bit and hold you hand over the intake on the carb. This will create a lot of the suction on the jets and if there is a slug of crap in one of them it may pull it out. Have you checked for a vacumm leak at the carb boot by spraying wd40 or carb cleaner to see if it affects the running any? Also, look across the carbs along the front edge to see that they are popped all of the way into the boots. don't ask me how I know this can be a problem,, :lol: :lol:

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
13 May 2007 15:17 #139743 by Ray J
Replied by Ray J on topic Cylinder not operating.
The spark is a deep blue. And I will try revving it. If I take the float bowl cover off of the bottom, can I just unscrew the jets and blow them out without removing the carbs? Would there be anything else to do with the bowl cover off?

More
13 May 2007 18:40 #139769 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cylinder not operating.
Ray J wrote:

...(#4) is not firing on my 900LTD...getting compression...spark at the plug...new spark plug I put in is shiny and dry and the #4 exhaust pipe is cold when the engine runs... loosened the screw at the bottom of the float bowl and gas came out. I just cleaned the carbs, and all of the floats seemed to be at the same level before I put them in. What do I do?

Am assuming fuel will continuously flow from float bowl drain hole while petcock is open. This assures a continuous supply of fuel is at least getting into the float bowl.

Would suggest first performing the quick easy clear plastic tube test to determine the service fuel level in #4 carb float bowl. The fuel level might be too low for fuel to be drawn up into the carb circuits.
:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 May 2007 13:21 #140350 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic Cylinder not operating.
Have we ruled out the air leaks at the carb boots yet? You're concentrating on not enough gas, when too much air can do the same thing to your mixture.

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
27 May 2007 09:28 #143920 by Ray J
Replied by Ray J on topic Cylinder not operating.
Thanks for all of the input. Sorry it took me so long, but the bike was in a friends garage and I did not get the chance to work on it. I pulled the float bowl off of the #4 carb, blew everything out, though all of the orifices looked clean. I started it up, and #4 worked, but #1 did not. I took #1 float bowl off and no gas came out. It turns out valve needle that the float closes, sticks, and the bowl never filled. There were some nicks in the needle that came out with #600 grit sand ppr. Now everything works! Well... there is some problem with the mixture, but I am going to post that separately.

Anyways, thanks for all of the help. Now I have a better feel for yet another part of my bike.