carb jetting

More
13 May 2007 08:26 #139649 by arobsum
carb jetting was created by arobsum
i'm going to put some later style vm28's on my kz900. question is, can i go with main jet 115's with the needle high? or should i use 130's with the needle low?
i don't have any in between jets. just 112's, 115's or 130's. what would be the best setup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2007 15:28 #140388 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic carb jetting
anyone?

More
15 May 2007 17:19 #140420 by vach
Replied by vach on topic carb jetting
Hey, I just talked to a guy who builds race bikes in Hammond, Indiana and he said if you go up a clip on the jet needle, it's like going up only 2 sizes on the main.. However, it kicks the mains in earlier, giving you more midrange power if your bike is running lean in the midrange. So running 115's with the needle up 1 clip is like running 120's, only they kick in quicker. So if you want to dial it in you really have to do a thorough plug check in the mid-upper range to see how the bike is burning the gas at those rpm's.. He said usually, just headers and pods do not require clip adjustment... As a rule.. Though your bike may or may not respond well to the rich mixture in the midrange area..

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
16 May 2007 14:49 #140712 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic carb jetting
vach wrote:

Hey, I just talked to a guy who builds race bikes in Hammond, Indiana and he said if you go up a clip on the jet needle, it's like going up only 2 sizes on the main.. However, it kicks the mains in earlier, giving you more midrange power if your bike is running lean in the midrange. So running 115's with the needle up 1 clip is like running 120's, only they kick in quicker. So if you want to dial it in you really have to do a thorough plug check in the mid-upper range to see how the bike is burning the gas at those rpm's.. He said usually, just headers and pods do not require clip adjustment... As a rule.. Though your bike may or may not respond well to the rich mixture in the midrange area..

i'll try it, thanks!