carb clean

More
06 May 2007 13:38 #137620 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic carb clean
that copper piece should be the emulsion tube that the main jet threads into. once the slide is out and the main jet removed the tube should come free. it is important that this tube be clean. yes, do the carbs one at a time and put everything back the way you found it.
most importantly, take your time and do this right. no need to rush and break something. ( i know a little bit about that last part!!) good luck.:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2007 14:12 #137621 by squints
Replied by squints on topic carb clean
this thing... wont budge, help

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

More
06 May 2007 14:22 #137624 by squints
ooops, the copper thing..

Post edited by: squints, at: 2007/05/06 17:24

Upstate NY
Attachments:

More
06 May 2007 15:30 #137656 by squints
ok, game on. WD-40 is great, thats all I got to say.

In the process of getting the damn thing out, I kinda messed up the copper edges is that gonna be problems later on.

Upstate NY

More
06 May 2007 15:41 #137657 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic carb clean
Soak it well with your wd40. Don't do anymore prying on it. If you flared it any when you were prying on it you will never get it out without at least scoring the body of the carb as it comes out. If you have try to file or sand it carefully so it comes out without scoring the body. I think the body and the slide (the brass part) are matches when they are built at the factory. I'm sure someone else with come in on this, hopefully wiredgeorge the carb guru. If all else fails let me know I have some slides out of a set of carbs I don't use anymore. Will send you 1 for the postage. I'll follow the thread to see what happens.
Good Luck,
Les

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
06 May 2007 15:51 #137664 by squints
awesome! thanks milkman! but I dont think that will be necessary, they arent that bad (i think). And if they are factory matched I might be better off with the one I got?

But I've been reading on z1enterprises and they had carb rebuild kits, would it be wise to get one (or four), or is reusing what I've got ok.

AND, when soaking the parts, should I soak the brass pieces, nuts, bolts, and needles? Everything but orings and other ruber stuff right.

Thats enough for one day, NEXT!

Upstate NY

More
06 May 2007 17:16 #137690 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic carb clean
Yeah, soak all the metal stuff. Just note that the pistons for the chokes have rubber pads in the bottoms of them. I wouldn't soak the pistons. Just spray them off withe carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner is even better. If is has been sitting for quiet a while, I would get the kits. Any kits I have gotten have had a small assortment of different sized jets in them. Jeffs may be different with just the stock jets. And the kits I had, had all the gaskets and o-rings in them of course, but the pads for the chokes were not there so again don't soak them.
The offer stills stands as a last resort if you need them.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
08 May 2007 14:54 #138302 by squints
I'm back, the only sort of cleaner they had at the auto store was "Gumout Carb and Choke Cleaner: jet spray". Any thoughts on that stuff? Or am I better off getting some of the liquid stuff/lemon juice to soak the bodies in?

Thanks milkman, I will get back to you on that copper fitting if I need it, thanks!

Upstate NY

More
08 May 2007 17:02 #138342 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic carb clean
The Milkman wrote:

Yeah, soak all the metal stuff. Just note that the pistons for the chokes have rubber pads in the bottoms of them. I wouldn't soak the pistons. Just spray them off withe carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner is even better. If is has been sitting for quiet a while, I would get the kits. Any kits I have gotten have had a small assortment of different sized jets in them. Jeffs may be different with just the stock jets. And the kits I had, had all the gaskets and o-rings in them of course, but the pads for the chokes were not there so again don't soak them.
The offer stills stands as a last resort if you need them.

brake parts cleaner? does it work well?