Best way to clean carbs

More
05 May 2007 09:09 #137297 by vach
Replied by vach on topic Best way to clean carbs
I've done some research and found a few options for cleaning aluminium. The healthy choice. Making soup and cleaning your carbs? :blink: So, let's see... Vinegar, salt, tomatoes, rhubarb, lemon juice, cream of tartar and baking powder. Anyone want to come over for dinner? From what I've read mixing lemon juice, vingar and some salt is the way to go. The vinegar also is supposed to bring back the shine. We shall see.......

So Bright You Gotta Wear Shades
To brighten dulled aluminum cookware, cook acidic foods, such as tomatoes, apples or rhubarb. You can also boil 2 tablespoons vinegar per quart of water for 10 minutes in the pan. If you have aluminum utensils, then throw those in there to bring back their luster. To prevent discoloration in the bottom of aluminum double boilers or egg poachers, add 1 teaspoon vinegar to the water in the bottom pan. In both of these cases, vinegar can be substituted with cream of tartar.

To remove stains from the outside of aluminum pans, use silver polish or mild, nonabrasive cleaner. Avoid using soap-filled steel wool pads, which tend to scratch the outside surface. However, if you are removing burned-on food or grease that is so disgusting that a minor scratch pales in comparison, then go ahead and use the steel wool.

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
20 Aug 2007 14:13 #165215 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Best way to clean carbs
harm wrote:

I went to Napa today to get some of the good stuff(Carb cleaner). Brought it up to the counter and they told me it was $60 for one gallon can! :woohoo: :woohoo: I put it back on the shelf. I guess i will try the lemon juice trick.

FYI, I went down to NAPA today and saw that they had it on sale for $29.99 so I bought a gallon. Not sure if it was just the local store or chain-wide.

West Linn, OR

More
20 Aug 2007 14:42 #165219 by 77Davo650
Replied by 77Davo650 on topic Best way to clean carbs
I won't go to NAPA unless I absolutely have to. There's an Atwoods not too far from here that sells some good carb cleaner for pretty cheap, I'll try to get the brand.

Post edited by: 77Davo650, at: 2007/08/20 17:45

77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

More
21 Aug 2007 04:15 #165333 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Best way to clean carbs
Skyman, that is a good price if its the same stuff. I would buy some if i still needed some. I ended up buying the Gunk brand, it worked ok but i think the Napa stuff would be better.

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
21 Aug 2007 10:11 #165400 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Best way to clean carbs
harm wrote:

Skyman, that is a good price if its the same stuff. I would buy some if i still needed some. I ended up buying the Gunk brand, it worked ok but i think the Napa stuff would be better.

I think it's the real stuff. When I checked out, I saw on the POS computer that the original price was $60.00. It has the NAPA name on it, but also says "MAC" followed by a four-digit number. I don't remember the exact number--it's at home right now and I'm not.

West Linn, OR