80 KZ550-A1 just bought, need carb specs (been sitting since?).

• wreckedmyteg
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Apr 2007 10:50 #132268 by wreckedmyteg
Just picked up a 1980 KZ550-A1 off eBay for 400 bucks. Place selling it was local, so I just trailered it home.

Threw a battery in it, turns over fine, plenty of spark.

Fill the tank 1/4 full, turn on the petcock, and gas proceeds to pour all over my garage. It's coming from the overflow tubes.

Pulled the carbs out last night. I'm going to take them apart and clean them (got the diagram from Kawasaki's website), but I can't find the specs for them anywhere.

Anything applicable (screw turns, setting the float height, etc).

Any pointers would also be appreciated. These look a lot more complex then the carbs of my 76 KZ400.

I wanna fire this beast up, so I can start on paint!

Thanks!

B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2007 10:59 #132272 by tellietubbie
wreckedmyteg,someone was on here last week after a manual[which would cover your A1].A link was provided to a downloadable Clymer manual.I've got the Kawa and Cylmer if you have problems.Regards.

• wreckedmyteg
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Apr 2007 12:29 #132298 by wreckedmyteg
Found the manual, thanks!

But...after doing some reading of past threads, it looks like it could be the petcock that's the culprit?

I thought the floats were probably stuck since they've been resting with no fuel in the bowls for who knows how long.

Should I be looking at the floats, or the petcock.

Maybe I don't even need to pull the carbs apart...

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
20 Apr 2007 19:24 #132395 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic 80 KZ550-A1 just bought, need carb specs (been sitting since?).
If it sat in storage for a while, it's an almost gaurantee that the carbs will be clogged to some extent.
The o-rings in the petcock will dry out and can cause it to keep flowing with the bike off.

I'd tackle the petcock issue first, and then move on to the carbs once that's resolved.
Petcock rebuild kits are plentiful on eBay, and some folks have claimed that rebuilding it worked great. I've rebuilt several petcocks over the years and have never had one of those kits fix a leak for very long, if at all.
IMHO, you're better off just buying a NOS petcock if it's in your budget - about $90 at the dealer, but can be found cheaper on eBay if you're patient. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ