starving

More
01 Apr 2007 13:35 #125579 by demented
starving was created by demented
first of all im sorry this is a repeat question.
my bike set for 5 years inside a barn. gas tank was disconnected from carbs.a friend told me to take the carbs apart and clean them , put them back on , then decide if they need rebuilt.(shouldve rebult from the beginning). i have reinstalled the carbs and the thing wont run unless it is fully choked. if you try to twist the throttle it just stalls it out.now the scary thing you need to know, is that i have never mest with a set of bike carbs in my life time til now.the intake mounts are new and i have replaced the airbox with individual filters.should i go with a rebuild and get it over with or can you suggest trying something else first?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2007 16:18 #125639 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic starving
sounds like the ports and/or the emulsion tubes are clogged up (the brass tube that the main jet screws into) if you go down that far might as well tear them down and do it right..;) :)

More
01 Apr 2007 20:51 #125727 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic starving
Is the gas tank rusty? if so, you need to drain it, flush it out, and install a fuel filter inline. I agree with arobsum, sounds like the main jets are clogged. Remove seats, main jets, etc. Clean everything real well. Good luck, hope this helps.

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

More
02 Apr 2007 16:43 #125940 by demented
Replied by demented on topic starving
thx for the feed back guys. btw i have had the gas tank professionally cleaned and resealed. new gas lines from tank to carbs, fed from a brand new dual port Pingel petcok. i got it runnin better today but it needs to be sych'd still seems it may be starving for gas. not hitting on all four. i need to check plugs tomorrow. possibly fouled them.

More
02 Apr 2007 21:03 #126013 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic starving
Your pilot system is clogged with old gas. You need to take the carbs apart and make sure the pilot jets and passages are all clean.