Leak at 1000 petcock

More
31 Mar 2007 19:49 #125324 by kzwolfsr
Leak at 1000 petcock was created by kzwolfsr
I have a leak at my fuel petcock on a part I can't find on the kawasaki.com diagram. When you look at the petcock straight on its this elbowed joint that comes of the petcock and supplies the fuel to the carbs. I pulled it out to look at it and it doesn't look like it is supposed to accomodate any oring or anything, just supposed to be tight fitted. Anyone out ther ever had to fiddle with this leak on an 81 CSR or LTD 1000 and any bikes that may have the same setup.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2007 19:51 #125325 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Leak at 1000 petcock
this is the pic I was supposed to put on

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Attachments:

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
31 Mar 2007 20:26 #125353 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Leak at 1000 petcock
I had all kinds of problems getting my OEM vacuum petcock to seal off the flow of gas when the bike was shut off. It didn't leak externally but overnight it would leak a cup of gas or more into the airbox via the carb overflows. After several rebuild kits and no solution, I switched to a pingel manual petcock that mounts right to my bike with an aluminum adapter plate. I had to plug the vacuum line coming from the carb and had to file the hole in the bottom of the tank slightly, but other than that i'm very happy with the conversion.
Grant.
P.S. I now have to turn the gas on and off manually which I'm finally getting the hang of.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
31 Mar 2007 20:26 #125354 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Leak at 1000 petcock
I had all kinds of problems getting my OEM vacuum petcock to seal off the flow of gas when the bike was shut off. It didn't leak externally but overnight it would leak a cup of gas or more into the airbox via the carb overflows. After several rebuild kits and no solution, I switched to a pingel manual petcock that mounts right to my bike with an aluminum adapter plate. I had to plug the vacuum line coming from the carb and had to file the hole in the bottom of the tank slightly, but other than that i'm very happy with the conversion.
Grant.
P.S. I now have to turn the gas on and off manually which I'm finally getting the hang of.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
01 Apr 2007 09:41 #125510 by inline79
Replied by inline79 on topic Leak at 1000 petcock
Yes, I've seen gas seep out of this connection before. I just started pressing it in really, really hard when I install it, giving it a bit of an extra twist as I press it in. It seems to work.

Another idea would be to wrap a little teflon around the plug before you shove it into the petcock.

More
01 Apr 2007 19:43 #125709 by kzwolfsr
Thanks Inline! That sounds doable, but today I used some silicone around it, just a light coat seeing that it was a pretty close fit and left it to dry. Didn't ride it all day, probably tomorow. I rode my SR today and left that bike to heal( changed valve cover gasket and cam plugs, plus that thing at the petcock

More
02 Apr 2007 05:41 #125763 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Leak at 1000 petcock
Like inline79 says press it in really hard. I did that and then put JB Weld around the join and that has worked fine for the past two years.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2007 05:59 #125766 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Leak at 1000 petcock
Grantl wrote:

I had all kinds of problems getting my OEM vacuum petcock to seal off the flow of gas when the bike was shut off. It didn't leak externally but overnight it would leak a cup of gas or more into the airbox via the carb overflows. After several rebuild kits and no solution...

Perhaps a bit after the fact in this instance, but worth mentioning anyway:

Seepage is a pretty common problem on auto petcocks, and the little rubber diaphram is usually the culprit - age, wear, etc., but another item that requires attention is the spring that presses against the diaphram.

The spring presses against the diaphram to shut off fuel flow when the engine shuts down. Age and cyclic wear can reduce the tension the spring places on the diaphram.

So even after a rebuild, new diaphram and all, (can't recall if the rebuild kits include a new spring) unless you stretch the spring *ever so slightly* it's possible that the real problem remains - lack of spring tension.

Found that out myself the hard way... ;)
Attachments:

More
02 Apr 2007 06:52 #125773 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Leak at 1000 petcock
I've had the problem before. Put a little JB weld on the tube and press it together. That will make a permanent repair of the problem. Also replace the fuel line while you're at it if it's old. It's surprising how deceptive a dumb fuel line leak where it plugs into the petcock can be, sometimes you can swear up and down by looking closely it's the elbo leaking, where in fact it's the rubber line.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
02 Apr 2007 21:15 #126017 by kzwolfsr
I sealed it with RTV sealer, but when I rode it this morning I smelt gas and when I looked down at the engine it was just flowing gas. I thought it was that connection again but it looked like a lamb, quiet as ever. The gas was coming from the filter. I thought the filter was broke til I went to the store to buy a new one , to only find out the hose clamp needed tightening. I still changed it anyways, since it was old. Thanks fellas! Case closed!